Allagash white clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danicomix

Reaction score
ALLAGASH CLONE
Hi, what do you think of this clone recipe??

4.9%
Batch Volume: 23 L
Original Gravity: 1.049
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU (Tinseth): 13

Mash
Temperature — 45 °C — 10 min
Temperature — 52 °C — 10 min
Temperature — 66 °C — 60 min
Temperature — 78 °C — 10 min

Malts
2.44 kg (50%) — Dingemans Pilsen — Grain — 3.2 EBC
1.22 kg (25%) — wheat, Flaked — Grain — 3.2 EBC
730 g (15%) — Dingemans Pale Wheat — Grain — 3.2 EBC
490 g (10%) — Oats, Flaked — Grain — 2 EBC

Hops
7 g (9 IBU) — Hallertau Magnum 11% — Boil — 60 min
14 g (2 IBU) — Hallertauer Hersbrucker 2.3% — Boil — 10 min
42 g (3 IBU) — Saaz 3.5% — Aroma — 5 min hopstand @ 100 °C

Miscs
6 g — Orange Peel, Sweet — Flameout
4 g — Paradise Seed — Flameout
8 g — indian coriander — Flameout

Yeast
1 pkg — Wyeast Labs 3944 Belgian Witbier

Fermentation
Primary — 18 °C — 5 days
Primary — 21 °C — 5 days

thanks,
Daniele

I have made this witbier about 6 times that is dead on Allagash White. My wife and I actually did a blind taste test and picked my beer as the one we thought was Allagash White (i.e. we presumed we'd like pick the Allagash as the best one). They were incredibly similar. This same recipe with 6lbs of frozen/thawed peaches added at the end of ferment took 3rd in the regional NHC fruit beer category. Anyway... the yeast is the most key part to getting that Allagash character and not the Hoegarten flavor.

5 gallon batch

Mash 150F. OG 1.046 FG 1.010
5lb 8 oz 2 row
4 lbs flaked wheat
1 lb 2 oz flaked oats (one normal size container of quick oats from the grocery store)

1 oz Willamette @ 60 min. (any nobleish hop giving 15-20 IBU)

Fresh zest of 2 large oragnes thrown loosely into the boil with 5 min left in boil.
0.6 oz of roughly ground/crushed corriander thrown in loosely with 5 min left in boil.

Wyeast 13944 (this yeast tends to stall at 1.020 so you need to raise the fermentation temp up to around 72deg to help it finish IME)

I have made this witbier about 6 times that is dead on Allagash White. My wife and I actually did a blind taste test and picked my beer as the one we thought was Allagash White (i.e. we presumed we'd like pick the Allagash as the best one). They were incredibly similar. This same recipe with 6lbs of frozen/thawed peaches added at the end of ferment took 3rd in the regional NHC fruit beer category. Anyway... the yeast is the most key part to getting that Allagash character and not the Hoegarten flavor.

5 gallon batch

Mash 150F. OG 1.046 FG 1.010
5lb 8 oz 2 row
4 lbs flaked wheat
1 lb 2 oz flaked oats (one normal size container of quick oats from the grocery store)

1 oz Willamette @ 60 min. (any nobleish hop giving 15-20 IBU)

Fresh zest of 2 large oragnes thrown loosely into the boil with 5 min left in boil.
0.6 oz of roughly ground/crushed corriander thrown in loosely with 5 min left in boil.

Wyeast 13944 (this yeast tends to stall at 1.020 so you need to raise the fermentation temp up to around 72deg to help it finish IME)

I've read that in the grist there was also wheat & carapils....do you know?

I can't say what Allagash uses in their grist. I can just say that my recipe yielded a similar end product. I think the yeast character and additions of coriander and orange that give the witbier it's character. Not as much the exact grain bill which is rather on the light side.

And I did use about 40% wheat in my version.

I can't say what Allagash uses in their grist. I can just say that my recipe yielded a similar end product. I think the yeast character and additions of coriander and orange that give the witbier it's character. Not as much the exact grain bill which is rather on the light side.

And I did use about 40% wheat in my version.

thanks!

Latest posts

Back