All You Ever Wanted to Know About Oxygenation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect wort density also plays a role, if only because when I was carbing "thick" stouts pre-beergas days they took a lot longer to reach ~ 2 volumes than a pale or even IPA.

iirc, Chris White's Yeast benchmark O2 metric was 2 minutes at 1 lpm. When I picked up an O2 tank and medical flow meter rig I went with .5 lpm for 4 minutes stirred in with a Williams .5 micron wand. And while I don't adjust for OG it still seems to work well enough...

Cheers!

I suspect wort density also plays a role, if only because when I was carbing "thick" stouts pre-beergas days they took a lot longer to reach ~ 2 volumes than a pale or even IPA.

iirc, Chris White's Yeast benchmark O2 metric was 2 minutes at 1 lpm. When I picked up an O2 tank and medical flow meter rig I went with .5 lpm for 4 minutes stirred in with a Williams .5 micron wand. And while I don't adjust for OG it still seems to work well enough...

Cheers!
Did you take measurements with a DO meter? If you didn't then you have no idea whether your system gives you optimal DO levels or not.

There are many factors that will influence the actual yield, i.e. how much of the O2 that flows out of the bottle will get dissolved, so that determining yield mathematically is really a complex problem. We have wort viscosity. which you already indirectly addressed, but also temperature (lower temperature means lower diffusion rate) as well as aeration stone and fermenter size and geometry.

Alternately one could take a series of measurements (actual measurements being key here) and determine approximate yield values for his setup under the most frequently occurring conditions which might give good predictions as long as no major changes in equipment and setup occur. If you try and use those values for a different system the results you will get will most likely be completely useless, i.e. either leading to systematic over-oxygenation or under-oxygenation.

Did you take measurements with a DO meter? If you didn't then you have no idea whether your system gives you optimal DO levels or not.[...]

In fact I had a borrowed Milwaukee DO meter for almost a month back in the pre-LoDO days and did some testing with it. The method I described peaked at 12ppm in the carboy with most worts (I typically brew in the 60-65 point range) then rapidly fell as the yeast went to work and some portion no doubt escaped towards the 8ppm atmospheric partial pressure. I got about as much as I needed to see what White was seeing, I believe...

Cheers!

Back