All you can do is laugh....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyBoy270

I Drink and I Know Sh*t...
Reaction score
So someone started a thread a couple weeks ago that was all about venting your frustrations on whatever, well the intent of this thread is similar but rather than venting per say, it's for those moments in which all you can do is ask WTF and laugh 🤦‍♂️

I'll go first ha

So filling bottles for a competition this weekend (i use a beergun) and so after this particular bottle was full, I blanked for some reason and hit the trigger for the gas while it was still in the bottle. Sh*t shot out like Ole Faithful all over my table and the garage floor 😂. It was honestly too funny to be mad. I drank what was left in the bottle and just carried on with the rest :cask:

Haven't done that yet, but a couple months ago I forgot to dump the residual starsan out of my keg before filling it....😑😑😑

Oh man that sucks.

I can not remember what I had going on during that time... But with these two wild little ones running around Im sure I was trying to fit too many things into one day.

Haven't done that yet, but a couple months ago I forgot to dump the residual starsan out of my keg before filling it....😑😑😑

Oh…I’ve done that. Was using a Speidel at the time and for some 🐴 reason, had put like a gallon in there. I think…I was thinking I was just going to dump it back into a 1.5G keg I always have starsan in so WTH, just dump it all in there. Luckily, I realized it after transferring about a gallon in. “Gosh, this thing sure did get full awfully…quick….🤯🤬🤬🤬

Last edited:
I have a PP bucket that has a tap on it and I use it for bottling. Since the tap is not placed completely at the bottom, to get it all out I have to put something beneath it to tilt it. Once it happened that I tilted it a little bit too much and started bottling again, sitting on the floor while the bucket was on the table. Needless to say what happened next. I think swearing was heard to the apartment next door.

Last weekend I was chilling my brew with an immersion chiller. I normally use 25 gallons to cool 10 gallons, and I was at 30 gallons and it wouldn’t cool past 130 degrees. I had my hose hooked to the hot tap instead of the cold tap.
I've caught myself a couple times trying to cool my beer with my immersion chiller only to find out 10-15 minutes later that I still have the heating elements turned on :rolleyes:

I've caught myself a couple times trying to cool my beer with my immersion chiller only to find out 10-15 minutes later that I still have the heating elements turned on :rolleyes:

Guilty of this too... Yet another reason I no chill... Lol

I had bottled and capped about half a batch when I looked over and saw the beaker with priming sugar solution sitting on the counter.

I sanitized a pipette with bulb, popped the caps off, squirted sugar solution into each one, and re-capped. It turned out fine.

At lest you caught that!

A few years ago I was natural conditioning a beer in a keg (so I could call it a Real Ale). I boiled some sugar in water and added it to the keg. Just before I was ready to fill the keg I noticed there was residual "sanitizer" in the keg so I dumped it out...then realized I just dumped out my priming solution! Opps!

Pure luck, as I had a few before bottling and wasn't thinking :mug: . Maybe more than a few. I now limit myself to 1 or 2 when doing anything that needs my focused attention.

Agreed! I normally won't until I am at the 60 mins boil mark, or the last full pours out of the bottling bucket.

I was transferring to the fermenter from the BK and when I got done, I thought that there seems to be more in there than there ought to be, several days later I realized that I hadn't dumped the starsan out of the fermenter. It likely had about a gallon, maybe more in a ten gallon batch. It had this metallic off taste. It's been a long time back, I think I dumped it, maybe not, who knows.

Last weekend I brewed a batch and transfered to my conical. I pump through my CFC into bottom through a hose barb. Cleaning up I removed the TC hose barb but forgot to close the butterfly valve first. 2" open pipe with 18 gallons of liquid above it...

Wasn't as bad as it might have been. I'd already sealed the top and so after dumping about half a gallon it had to pull in an air bubble and by time that was done I'd closed the butterfly.

They say a picture is worth 1000 words. This one is worth at least 6. "Use a damn blow off tube"...
20210912_104250.jpg

I was transferring to the fermenter from the BK and when I got done, I thought that there seems to be more in there than there ought to be, several days later I realized that I hadn't dumped the starsan out of the fermenter. It likely had about a gallon, maybe more in a ten gallon batch. It had this metallic off taste. It's been a long time back, I think I dumped it, maybe not, who knows.
Ya know, I really don't remember if I dumped or drank mine either 🤣🤣🤣

So someone started a thread a couple weeks ago that was all about venting your frustrations on whatever, well the intent of this thread is similar but rather than venting per say, it's for those moments in which all you can do is ask WTF and laugh 🤦‍♂️

I'll go first ha

So filling bottles for a competition this weekend (i use a beergun) and so after this particular bottle was full, I blanked for some reason and hit the trigger for the gas while it was still in the bottle. Sh*t shot out like Ole Faithful all over my table and the garage floor 😂. It was honestly too funny to be mad. I drank what was left in the bottle and just carried on with the rest :cask:
And here I thought I was the only one.....

They say a picture is worth 1000 words. This one is worth at least 6. "Use a damn blow off tube"...

Took me a long time to see the beer on a phone screen.

First I saw 3 bombs with timers, like in a movie. They I wondered what chemical element is Ss...that wasn't on the periodic table last time I looked...but there were several others that were new. Then I saw the temperature but not the decimal place! I thought Damn! That's right...something's gonna blow if that's 658 degrees. Hey the other is at 685! Run! Open the door first! #&@#$!

Oh...it's not in my house. Oh, there is wort coming out.

View attachment 746464

Thursday I was kegging an Irish red and I could see bubbles in the line and I'm thinking how is air getting in there? So I pop the ball lock off the pressurized fermenter and make sure the duo tight is on right and check the line connection, all looks good so I hook it back up and pop off the ball lock on the keg to check it and then it happens, like a moron I take the line out of the ball lock and bam pressurized beer squirting every where and then I panic and stick the line in my mouth and take about 3 gulps before I realize I can't drink 5 gallons of warm flat beer and put the line back in the ball lock.

I have a PP bucket that has a tap on it and I use it for bottling. Since the tap is not placed completely at the bottom, to get it all out I have to put something beneath it to tilt it. Once it happened that I tilted it a little bit too much and started bottling again, sitting on the floor while the bucket was on the table. Needless to say what happened next. I think swearing was heard to the apartment next door.
After doing the cradle-the-bucket thing to get the last beer to the tap, I got hold of a nylon elbow that screws onto the spigot shank, cut it back to fit snugly on the bucket floor and then cut an intake port on the side closest to the spigot. If I tilt using 1/2" board on the far end, I get almost all the beer out. No risk of swearing.

When I bottle for competition, I will bottle one or two extra and then open and drink them the day of judging so I know exactly what the judges are getting. Unfortunately, when I tasted them on judging day, my hefe tasted like a neipa and my neipa tasted like a hefe. I had mixed up the labels.

I got a new fermzilla all-rounder so that I could pressure ferment. It has the same connector for the gas and liquid line. I went to connect the spunding valve and doing an initial pressurization to 8 psi.

I connected the spunding valve to the liquid line which sent beer through the spunding valve and spraying all over the brew area. It also sent beer into the gauge as well.

I got a new fermzilla all-rounder so that I could pressure ferment. It has the same connector for the gas and liquid line. I went to connect the spunding valve and doing an initial pressurization to 8 psi.

I connected the spunding valve to the liquid line which sent beer through the spunding valve and spraying all over the brew area. It also sent beer into the gauge as well.
First time for me with an all-rounder as well. I’m sitting at 10 days with the pressure at just over 15 psi. I bought a picnic tap off Amazon to take gravity samples. Tonights attempt at a gravity reading:

1) Beer geyser from the hose to ball lock connection. In my haste to stop the eruption I knocked my hydrometer flask to the floor breaking it. Oh well, I have a spare.
2) Found the hose clamp to be loose. Tightened again. Another geyser. Cleaned up my mess.
3) Swapped to a different ball lock fitting, but hose is loose on barb. Tightened the band clamp as far as I could and tried again, prepared for another gusher. Clamp kind of held, but I had to move fast. Began filling spare flask, which was quickly a foam volcano. Shut off tap, but it wouldn’t shut off. Let go of flask and tap to get the ball lock disconnected. Beer and foam everywhere…pants, shoes, floor, walls, and table. Imagine a fire hose unattended spraying foam at 20 psi. I quit for the night.

I was brewing at a friend's house once. Hauled all of my equipment there to do a batch. I had started the boil when I realized I forgot the Star San. There was no time to go home and get it. Ended up finding a bottle of rubbing alcohol in the bathroom, and sanitized the carboy with that. The beer turned out fine.

First time for me with an all-rounder as well. I’m sitting at 10 days with the pressure at just over 15 psi. I bought a picnic tap off Amazon to take gravity samples. Tonights attempt at a gravity reading:

1) Beer geyser from the hose to ball lock connection. In my haste to stop the eruption I knocked my hydrometer flask to the floor breaking it. Oh well, I have a spare.
2) Found the hose clamp to be loose. Tightened again. Another geyser. Cleaned up my mess.
3) Swapped to a different ball lock fitting, but hose is loose on barb. Tightened the band clamp as far as I could and tried again, prepared for another gusher. Clamp kind of held, but I had to move fast. Began filling spare flask, which was quickly a foam volcano. Shut off tap, but it wouldn’t shut off. Let go of flask and tap to get the ball lock disconnected. Beer and foam everywhere…pants, shoes, floor, walls, and table. Imagine a fire hose unattended spraying foam at 20 psi. I quit for the night.

Oh..my.

There is a broken hydrometer thread somewhere around here. Silver lining is maybe you've got some pics to share..and a couple of laughs to be had..maybe tomorrow. 🍻

Here we go again....

So first off santa brought me a fermzilla conical for Christmas, which I'm currently breaking in. I came to rant about something else, but am laughing that I read this months ago and yet still managed to stare at the 2 keg style posts for at least 20mins trying decide if they were different/which was the gas & which was the liquid 🤣
It has the same connector for the gas and liquid line

Anyway, so Im a few days into fermentation (long lag time) and am beginning to fear my old yeast just isn't going to take off. As I'm about to give up and pitch some dry yeast I have on hand I notice that i can see some bubbles & a little yeast activity despite nothing in the air lock. Decide to give it a day. Wake up that morning and the yeast has clearly taken off, but still no airlock activity. Knowing there's been issues with the lid leaking I decide to investigate that avenue. After fiddling with the lid/o-rings/posts/prv/and everything in between off and on all day, i decide to swap airlocks just out of desperation...instant bubbling.

Turns out the lid was fine the entire time, the airlock they gave me had a hole at the top of the inner piece 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
20220126_234520.jpg

I'll go first ha

Flash carbonation!

I'll go first ha

Don’t do that!

I try to keep the pre pre bucket away from the beer stuff.

Just tapped two of my best beers in a while; a seriously hoppy Citra/Sabro IPA, and a WF Czech Lager. Both taste terrific, at least according to the husband. I'm recovering from the 'rona, and still haven't got all my taste and smell back. I've got two great beers and all I can taste is bitter & carbonation. Arrrrrrgh.

Just tapped two of my best beers in a while; a seriously hoppy Citra/Sabro IPA, and a WF Czech Lager. Both taste terrific, at least according to the husband. I'm recovering from the 'rona, and still haven't got all my taste and smell back. I've got two great beers and all I can taste is bitter & carbonation. Arrrrrrgh.
That's super disappointing! I hope your sense of smell comes back soon. In the meantime I guess you can kill off any batches that didn't turn out as well as you were hoping.

That sucks 😬 I had a buddy give away more or less a case of hopslam last year because of the same thing. Fwiw his starting coming back like less than a month after that. Hope you get to enjoy some of yours before its gone! 🍻

They say a picture is worth 1000 words. This one is worth at least 6. "Use a damn blow off tube"...View attachment 746464
I should have taken a picture the other day of the insane mess I had. Split batch sour beers 6.25 gallons of strawberry peanut butter sour now down to 5.25 gallons after insane overflow through blow off tube into starsan jug, and a raspberry sour start 6.25 gallon now down to 5.5 gallon after adding to the insane mess. The bottom of the fridge was so full that it found its way out and all over the floor of about 1/8th of may garage. Friggen Kviek! Go to work for a couple hours and bam! A couple rolls of paper towels and all cleaned up. I always anticipate a little blow off and will change out the starsan jug once in a while to avoid over flow but this one got away on me with the 2 batches chugging away at 90 degrees. Haha.

Back