All my looks the same

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eye-of-ra

Reaction score
I've brewing a while now. I have close to 2 dozen batches under my belt. I get plenty of compliments on my brews but unless it's a dark beer (porter, stout) the are all the same basic color, I'd say in the low 20s on the HCU scale. What am I doing wrong? How do I get lighter color beer? I'm wondering if I need to do something with my water. I use Gordon's bottled r/o water. Do I need to add some minerals? :confused:

Extract or all grain? Extract can't really get any lighter than an amber color. You can try later additions, but it's only getting so light. With all grain the sky's the limit on how light you want it. Type dependent, of course.

More info needed. All grain or extract? Recipes? What's your process?

If you're using a similar grain bill for everything, then there won't be much variation. HCU in my estimation seems to be a lot like HBU. In that it has its place, but it's a pretty poor indicator given what we know about brewing science these days, especially given software like BeerSmith to do the more complicate equations for IBUs and SRM.

Beyond that, if brewing with extract, and adding everything at the beginning of the boil, that can have a definite color impact and result in a darker than desired beer, especially with LME. Oxidation can also darken beer, sometimes substantially.

My advice is to Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew.
If your beer is good, enjoy it for now. Once you progress in the hobby you will learn methods (and obtain more equipment) that will allow you to have better control over color. Late extract addition, Full wort boils, and all grain brewing can all contribute to lighter colored finished beers. :mug:

Sorry I didn't get back sooner, rough week.

I'm mostly partial mashing now. I add my extract at the start of a 60 minute boil and it's always DME. I've started using nothing but Light DME and trying to adjust color with my grains but haven't been having any luck. This is purely a vanity inquiry. I love my brews as do others, I'd just like to have my amber look different then my red which looks like my cream that bares a striking resembles to my saison. :D

I'll post the recipes for the red, cream and saison to get your opinons on the colors.

Cheers boys and girls!

Extract or all grain? Extract can't really get any lighter than an amber color. You can try later additions, but it's only getting so light. With all grain the sky's the limit on how light you want it. Type dependent, of course.

That hasn't been my experience. My saison was nothing but pounds and pounds of light DME and sugar, and it's probably about 6 or 7 SRM. Granted, I split the DME and added half at the 45 min. mark.

If you're partial mashing with RO, you should be making mineral/salt additions. But that's more for the mash than color.

BTW they do make extra-light DME. Maybe extra-light DME, late-addition will get you close.

Also, how vigorous is your boil? A vigorous boil will cause the wort to darken.

Sorry I didn't get back sooner, rough week.

I'm mostly partial mashing now. I add my extract at the start of a 60 minute boil and it's always DME. I've started using nothing but Light DME and trying to adjust color with my grains but haven't been having any luck. This is purely a vanity inquiry. I love my brews as do others, I'd just like to have my amber look different then my red which looks like my cream that bares a striking resembles to my saison. :D

I'll post the recipes for the red, cream and saison to get your opinons on the colors.

Cheers boys and girls!

Next time, add the extract at flame out so it doesn't darken with boiling called "maillard reactions", a reaction similar to caramelization. Or, if it's not a partial mash, use 1 pound of extract (more or less, no need to be exact) per gallon of liquid boiled during the boil. For a 2.5 gallon boil, using 2 pounds of extract is fine as an example. Then, after the boil but before cooling, add the rest of the extract, stirring well to make sure it's mixed in. Then chill the wort.

It will make a big difference in color, but the biggest difference will be in flavor. There is a distinct "cooked extract" flavor that many extract batches have that comes from boiling the extract for the entire boil.

It's sounding like it might be the fact I boil the extract for 60 minutes that's causing the color similarity. Thank you all so much for the information and for the tips on when to add the extract. My next brew will be a saison which will give me a chance to try using extra light DME and adding right at the end of the boil.

Also, I have been working on lowering my boil. I try to get a nice gentle roil but don't always succeed..:)

It also sounds like advancing to all grain will help, too. Awesome! One more reason to keep advancing my skills!!

:mug::mug:

Back