All grain without a cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclingpole

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it really necessary to use a cooler? How about an insulated pot instead?

I realize a cooler will hold temperature better but the only way to raise temp if it falls is to add more hot water. With a pot you just heat it up. I know the most temp you'll loose is maybe 2-3 degrees, for most that will not make a difference but I want to avoid this drop altogether.

The other issue I have is the smell of plastic, can't stand it!

So is there anyone on here that successfully brews without the use of a cooler? (outside of a RIMS system)

thanks!
J

I'm going to be using my 8 gallon heavy duty kettle w/ spigot and thermometer for my mashing. I'll add a false bottom to it and use the stove to regulate the heat.

I've let it sit before with just steeping grains in it and the temp over 20/30 minutes with the lid, dropped maybe a couple degrees.

I'm going to collect the wort from the sparging into a bucket(s) and then clean the kettle out and re-add the wort to the kettle and proceed normally.

My first all-grain was without a cooler. I used the easy method that android sent the link. I got 80% efficiency and the beer is great. I've since moved to a cooler and last time I got 54% efficiency. So you can definitely do it. Follow the directions and it will work fine. Have fun.

I don't think he is looking to use the Stove-Top AG Method. He wants to mash like a cooler, just using a pot.

I think as long as you insulated it well it would work fine. Here is a good thread on pot insulation. linky

I tried using a pot to mash in a first and had too much trouble maintaining temp, but my pot wasn't insulated. I don't know if you already do, but make sure you got an accurate thermometer, here is a good one. linky

Let us know if you make it work!

I use a keggles. I have a HLT, a lauter, and a Mash Tun/kettle combo. Basically, I mash in my kettle, and then transfer to my lauter. I may loose a degree or two in about a half hour, but I can always add a little heat to bring it back up. I do a lot of step mashing so I never worry about a degree or two. I can keep the burner on a simmer to help on cold days. I will eventually make a removable jacket, but I've been too lazy lately.

Mike

I use a BIAB type method (though with a single "dunk sparge") and mash in my 32L stainless steel kettle. I used to keep it on the burner and add heat occasionally to keep the temp up.

The last couple brews I've taken the pot off the burner (it's getting VERY cold outside down here now) taken it indoors and wrapped it in a big down sleeping bag. Both times the temperature has stayed exact the same over the 1 hour mash (to within the error on my digital thermometer.)

I think from now on I'll use this technique for all my single infusion mashes.

I don't think he is looking to use the Stove-Top AG Method. He wants to mash like a cooler, just using a pot.

the concept can be used on any type of burner with any type of pot. and if you have a relatively thick pot and a decent lid, it should hold temps pretty well. i tried doing a partial mash on my stove once with a thin SS pot, there were lots of pockets of differing temps and it didn't hold heat well at all.

I got a decent (3 layer bottom) 20qt SS stock pot from Crate and Barrel for about $50 in, ummm, about 2003 I think.

I can easily stovetop mash 5 pounds of grain and 7 pounds if I stretch. Over a 70 minute sacc rest it will drop from 158 to 153° with the lid on. On shorter rests I only lose a degree or two with just the bare naked pot.

HTH
P

EDIT: Stir every fifteen minutes or so to keep it even.

If you go with using a pot, you can pop it in the oven to help maintain consistent temps. Turn the stove on low, pop in the pot with grains, and then turn the stove off. Should help keep the temps steady. This is my method.

If you go with using a pot, you can pop it in the oven to help maintain consistent temps. Turn the stove on low, pop in the pot with grains, and then turn the stove off. Should help keep the temps steady. This is my method.

+1. Simple and works well. A cooler is easier though, just a bit more expensive.

Latest posts

Back