All-Grain to Extract Conversion Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopDevil7

Reaction score
I am looking to convert the all-grain malts below to an extract / steeping grain recipe (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=118158). As I am relatively new to brewing, I am looking for someone to critique my proposed extract version below and provide tips/pointers/alternatives. I have read in other posts that vienna and victory malts are not ideal for steeping which is why I did not include them in my extract version, but am not opposed to trying.

Original All-Grain Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 69.60 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 14.65 %
1.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 7.33 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.66 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.66 %
0.15 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 1.10 %

SRM: 12.4
Est. OG: 1.071

Proposed Extract Version Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Muntons DME Amber (10.2 SRM) Grain 54.60 %
3.00 lb Muntons DME Extra Light (3.5 SRM) Grain 32.80 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.50 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.50 %
0.15 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 1.60 %

SRM: 12.5*
Est. OG: 1.071*

*Estimations provided by BeerSmith 2

I think you're changing too much - it will be good, but different. Maris Otter, Vienna, and Victory all have pretty identifiable characteristics that might be missing. Is Muntons made from MO by any chance?

Briess makes a wider selection of LME, including Maris Otter and Vienna. Personally, I would use Briess Golden Light for a base to most malty ales, because I like it. I also use Pilsner extract sometimes. Never used Muntons.

If you can steep, you can mash :) In that case, use light extract to replace the Maris Otter, and then mash the Vienna, Victory, and other grain. The only difference in mashing and steeping is that you aim for a specific temperature for a specific time.

Maris Otter and 100% Vienna LME can be bought at Midwest Supplies or Northern Brewer. Then it's down to steeping Victory, Cara-Pils and caramel malts.

Definitely do NOT use amber extract- it has crystal malt in it, and maybe other stuff, so you'd be doubling up on the crystal malt.

You will want the maris otter extract, and the Vienna extract if you can find it. If not, use light (or extra light) DME.

Keep the crystal malts and the victory malt, and just use extract for the maris otter and Vienna malt.

and, in addition to what Yooper says, you want to use the lightest color extract you can find. it sells better which means better turnover, which means it has a better chance of being fresh as compared to darker extracts

fresh extract is key to avoid "twang"

use light extract and control color with your steeping grains

Latest posts

Back