all grain stout help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Packman715

Reaction score
I want to brew a 5 gal stout this weekend this is what I have for grain and hops .

2 oz choclate (end of it)
4 oz roast rye (end of it)
8 oz black patent
2 oz Debitterness Carafee III
10 lb two row greman base malt
1 oz chinchook pellets (13% alpha) boil 60 min.
4 oz fresh frozen northern brewer whole hops off the vine flavor.
1 oz fresh frozen northern brewer whole hops off the vine aroma.

I can increase northern brewer by up to 6 oz total.

what say you guys?:mug:

I might back off the chinook hops a little, have you run the numbers to see what that will give you for bitterness (IBUs)? But, overall, I think it looks good. If you had more chocolate, I would use that replacing some of the black patent, but like I said, I think the recipe looks interesting. Good luck!

what pappers said. figure out how many IBUs you're getting from that 60 minute addition and make sure that's what you want.

i would increase the NB hops if you can. you say they're "whole hops off the vine" - but they're dried, right?

overall it seems to me to be a tad light on the darker malts, but to horribly so. i would try increasing them if you can. i'm thinking some C-120 or C-150 would be a good addition along with some more chocolate.

you did say "ag hops" beer, right? i think you've got some serious mouth-puckering hops there. should compare to a dark hopzilla. i just ran it in beersmith. i doubt they're that high, but at 9.8 alpha, and 20 minutes for flavor, that would put it 100+ ibu. might not want to add the nb at all, or not add the chinook and use 1.25 or so of the nb. hard to say, since you don't really know their %, but fresh, they should have some kick

if the IBUs are too high, then reduce the 60 minute addition. that's where most of the IBUs are coming from. you'll want to keep those flavor and aroma additions. if anything, they should be increased. depending on your projected ABV (have you calculated that?), you might need to let this beer age for a few months to mellow out. if that's the case then hop flavor and aroma will fade - hence the need to go big initially.

Tapped the keg today turned into cream stout.
Going for thrid glass in a minute.

initial boil was about 50 min.

Back