All-grain (oat) beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hetuck

Reaction score
I'm wanting to brew up a beer with the only source of fermentable sugar coming from oats. Will this produce a decent beer? Or should there be other grains added? Also, what hops additions do any of you suggest?

Oats are generally not used in large percentages due to the stciky qualities of the mash resulting. Further, I am not thinking there are the enzymes present for complete conversion, so either 2row or chemical persuasion would be needed to convert the starch (theoretically, I have not tried mashing a large quanity of oats).

Hops? If you get to that point, seeing as this is fairly experimental, how about a single hop to highlight the hop flavor. I would balance the hops based on the OG of your boil. How about Summit for that Tangerine flavor?

Maybe you can go BIAB to offset the stuck sparge... though I am not sure that would help...

Maybe 7 lbs malted oats, 3 lbs 2 row, and 5lbs rice hulls?

If you use oat malt, which is available, then you can do a 100% oat beer. Some rice hulls would be a good idea, maybe a pound or so.

220, 221, whatever it takes... (quoting Mr. Mom)

Yeah, .5 lbs. Unless you have a REALLY big MLT!

I was ordering indian food, fending off a three year old, and trying to finish the post and adjust my sister's frosting recipe.

I am really intrigued by the finished product of an oat malt beer.

Well Chef, I'll let you know how it turns out. As of now I'm in the planning stage. Ingredients include Oat Malt, Cinnamon, Honey, Vanilla Bean (I've read that vanilla extract is too potent). The finished product will hopefully produce an oatmeal cookie after taste. I'm not sure which variety of hops will compliment this goal.
Plus, I don't know if this would be considered a Stout, Porter........a malt? Did I mention I'm new to this? :rockin:

If you use oat malt, which is available, then you can do a 100% oat beer. Some rice hulls would be a good idea, maybe a pound or so.

Do you suggest rice hulls for more fermentable sugar? If I take that suggestion, will the oat flavor still be present over that of the rice?

Heres the plan.....

Make a pre-boil tea with cinnamon, honey and vanilla beans THEN steep my oat malt.

-OR-

Steep the Oat Malt first THEN in a grain bag add the other three ingredients in addition to hops (Chrystal Pellet) for flavor and aroma. I may even dry hop the Chrystal Pellet for a more subtle hop characteristic.

I have yet to determine which strain of yeast will work best.....perhaps a strain which produces more of a bready scent/taste? You guys know more about it than I do. How does my idea sound? Think it'll be potable? Or will it keep my on the toilet for a week straight?

Rice hulls don't have any real noticeable flavor. They just provide fiber in between oat grains that otherwise would stick together like glue so the sparge water can get through.

what kind of sparge temp/ process are you using... you mentioned steeping, so I am wondering if you are doing this as a full AG or if you are steeping. Maybe I need more coffee...

what kind of sparge temp/ process are you using... you mentioned steeping, so I am wondering if you are doing this as a full AG or if you are steeping. Maybe I need more coffee...

Remember...I'm relatively new to home brewing. What is "full AG?" My plan is to bring the water up to 170 degrees then steep the oat malt OR whatever I need to do to ensure the sugars from the oats end up in my water. I was going to use a grain bag. But the consensus is to use rice hulls with the oat malt to keep the oat malt from sticking together. What exactly are rice hulls? I'm not questioning anybody's advice.....just don't know what they are.

If you are a new brewer and have not done all-grainbrewing before, I would not suggest this beer as the first venture into all-grain. There are no oat extracts, and mashing is not exactly the same as steeping. You cannot just steep malt and rinse sugars out.

Rice hulls are just that, the hull from the rice kernel. It is to prevent your mash from sticking into a big gluey mess where nothing will drain through. They do not provide any sugars or flavor. Just filter material.

Well then......I'll just have to learn about the mashing process:) And that IS going to have to be put on hold......I KNOW the Mrs won't let me have a mash tun right now! But one day I shall enjoy my all oat beer!!!

Mashing is not that different or harder than steeping, you just need to keep your eye on a few more details like temperature and water volumes. The project sounds like a good one. I've done an all wheat beer and I have some oat malt left over from an experiment. I may have to try an all oat beer soon. Good luck.

I read somewhere (sorry can't remember where) that oats above a certain percentage can cause an unpleasant bitterness or astringency or something. It was something about historical brewing and various grains used to make beer in history and that a long time ago, brewers (British?) made all oat beers that didn't taste very good which is why the switch was made to barley-based beers. Sorry that's a bit vague, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Interesting, Mench. Before I begin my oat pigrimage I'll do some research. Thanks for the "vague" heads up:rockin:

Back