All grain low SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopalotamus

Reaction score
brewed second all grain and had a low sg so did first

grainbill 11 lbs golden promise 1 lb munich 4oz crystal mashed at 155 for 60 min was going for 152 added 5.2 into mash but forgot to add it to sparge single infusion in 10gal cooler conversion

recipe was 1.062-1.068 hit 1.042
grain was crushed at midwest

my thoughts are to mash for 90 mins

4 gallons strike 6 gallons sparge afterboil about 5.5 fermenter

I am unfamiliar with golden promise. It is listed as a base malt. However, it only has a diastetic power of 70. Perhaps your recipe would benefit from the addition of some 2-row for the extra conversion? Just a thought. Was your first recipe primarily golden promise as well?

4 gallons strike 6 gallons sparge afterboil about 5.5 fermenter

so you mashed with 4 gallons then sparged with 6? If I'm reading this correctly...that's 10 gallons of water...sounds like a lot of water? I had 12.5# last brew and only used 8...that could be an issue. What did your qt/lbs ratio?

first recipe had no golden promise sorry it was 3 and 6 gallons

1qt per pound strike 1/2 gallon per lb sparge

that's a huge amount of water. if you start with 1.3 quarts/lb for the mash, and plan to use 8.25-8.5 total, that should end up about right.

it was a midwest allgrain kit and thats what it said will try less water

It all depends my friend...it just seems like the directions you had were a little off...I'm not sure what they said exactly but what you are telling us just seems a bit off...the beer will still probably turn out alright just not as high of abv as you were shooting for.

What was your recipe? That would help a bit to figure out what is going on...have you tried any brewing software?

mash at 152 at 1qt per lb sparge at 170 at 1/2 gallon per lb sparge with sparge arm or fly sparge 30-60 min once collected volume boil were i went wrong was sparging with full volume not stopping when i had boil volume batched sparged and read instructions for fly sparging

ok...makes a little sense. Don't get me wrong...I wasn't tryin to say what was right or wrong, I have never fly sparged so not sure what amount of water would be needed. I still think tho that this is the reason for the low gravity, the amount of water. Like I said before when I did my last batch 2 weeks ago I mashed 12.5# with 15.63qts which is 1.25qt/lbs and did 2 equal batch sparges of 1.92 gal each...I actually rounded up the sparges to 2 gals each and still was over my est. preboil gravity. So roughly my water was .32 gals/lbs...so I guess yours was not THAT far off. I am not use to hearing gals/lbs...and have a tendency to speak/type before thinking..plus I was at work, yes I work till midnight.

All ya can do is try, try again...that's the joy of this...we can continue to improve with trial and error. I'm no brewmaster by ANY means...but I love this!!!

Cheers!

Back