All grain brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDuke1022

Reaction score
Ok. My first brew was an extract clone of Magic Hat #9. It went fairly smooth and am waiting for it to be done in the secondary/keg. I have a question about all grain recipes. Many of the clones that I am looking to brew seem to be all grain. Are AG's harder to brew or do I just need to step out of the box? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ok. My first brew was an extract clone of Magic Hat #9. It went fairly smooth and am waiting for it to be done in the secondary/keg. I have a question about all grain recipes. Many of the clones that I am looking to brew seem to be all grain. Are AG's harder to brew or do I just need to step out of the box? Any help is greatly appreciated.

They are not harder to brew. They just require more equipment and a few more steps. Instead of opening a package of extract, for example, you make the extract out of grain.

Most all grain recipes can be converted into extract, though. You can find a recipe you want to try, and we can help you come up with an extract version(or at least a partial mash version, to get your feet wet!).

AG is not harder but does take more time and some additional equipment. It also takes some time to research techniques. The equipment can be made pretty cheaply if you have the time. good luck

I'll find you a couple of links. It seems like a ton of equipment that you need, but it's really not that much. A couple of things that are crucial- a brewpot big enough to boil about 6.5 gallons and a big enough burner for that is the main one. The second would be a way to "make" the extract- what is called a mash tun (or MLT for mash lauter tun). That's often a jerry-rigged item, like a big igloo cooler with a false bottom. The last crucial item I can think of is a way to chill the wort- usually an immersion chiller. You can chill a small volume (like in your Brewer's Best kit) in an ice bath, but that doesn't work very well for 5 gallons of boiling wort. You want to chill the wort very quickly, to get a good "cold break" as well as prevent some off-flavors.

That sounds like something that is going to have to wait until summer when I have an income. I received How to Brew- Everything you need to know to brew right the first time from one of my friends for X-mas. I am interested in creating a Blue Moon, Redstripe, or a cerveza (Corona or Dos Equis) for the Spring and Smmer.

That sounds like something that is going to have to wait until summer when I have an income. I received How to Brew- Everything you need to know to brew right the first time from one of my friends for X-mas. I am interested in creating a Blue Moon, Redstripe, or a cerveza (Corona or Dos Equis) for the Spring and Smmer.

That's a great book- it describes all the equipment you need, as well as the procedure and the hows/whys of mashing. I got it several years ago, and still use it all the time. I understand all of it now, which amazes me! When I first got it, I thought "There is NO way I'll ever understand what he's talking about!" when it came to mashing. I still don't delve much into water chemistry, but the info is first rate.

Back