All copper heat stick?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
I'm curious why I/anyone else hasn't done this?

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/copper.html#female

Screw in wired heating element. Solder joints to a longer pipe. Add PVC plastic handle.

You could/probably should cover connections in RTV or JB Weld, but it should be perfectly water tight, no?

Any problems with this idea?

I'm curious why I/anyone else hasn't done this?

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/copper.html#female

Screw in wired heating element. Solder joints to a longer pipe. Add PVC plastic handle.

You could/probably should cover connections in RTV or JB Weld, but it should be perfectly water tight, no?

Any problems with this idea?

no way to thread the element in and still have the solder joint

no way to thread the element in and still have the solder joint

Huh, what? If you solder one of those fittings to a length of tube and then screw the element in with an O ring to ensure no leaks it should work, should it? I would use one of the reducing fittings so you don't have to use 1" copper pipe/tube for the shaft, AKA expensive!
And seal the element terminals once they are screwed in.

But the heating element screws into the threaded reducer, with the element facing the solder joint. Maybe i'm seeing this wrong, please explain with a little more detail.

But the heating element screws into the threaded reducer, with the element facing the solder joint. Maybe i'm seeing this wrong, please explain with a little more detail.

No No No...... I was seeing it wrong, working to hard and not concentrating on brewing enough. Could you buy a 1 1/4" fitting and a 1 1/4"x1" reducing bush. Srew the element into the bush backwards then the bush into the fitting.

I think I was seeing this wrong, too, not having an element to look at. Forgot the element's threads face the heating element, not the connections.

No No No...... I was seeing it wrong, working to hard and not concentrating on brewing enough. Could you buy a 1 1/4" fitting and a 1 1/4"x1" reducing bush. Srew the element into the bush backwards then the bush into the fitting.

Hmmmm... I can see what you are saying now. Might have to pre solder a copper pipe to the female to solder fitting. It's a helluva lot better than my ass backwards idea, though. I'm going to sleep on it and order the fittings if it still makes sense tomorrow.

Next time I'll think through the idea before posting. LOL. I was sitting in my backyard thinking, "with all the clever people on this board, how come no one thought of this?" Because I had it backwards and it doesn't work.

Might have to dedicate my life to finding a workaround now. LOL.

Back