All citra ipa hop scheduel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyp1980

Reaction score
Just a strong IPA recipe

1oz citra 60min

1 oz citra 15 min

1 oz citra 10 min

1 oz citra 5 min

1 oz citra flame out

1 ounce whole leaf dry hop 7 days.

Any changes or should this Scheduel be ok.

I'm sure the schedule will be fine, but I can't comment on your recipe without knowing the OG, IBU's and grain bill.

Nick

Starting should hit around 1.062 and end on 1.011. This is for a 5 gallon batch. Grain bill is extract with 1 lbs caramel 40L 8oz victory. Extract is 6.6 lbs lme light and 1 lbs golden dme

Don't know what's in golden DME, but I'd cut the caramel 40L in half, at least. Same with victory.

Go with crystal/caramel 10L and crystal/caramel 20L if possible. Also, that's a LOT of citra. If that's what you're after then go for it. It's gonna have a ton of mango and grapefruit notes. I used 3oz citra in my brew a few days ago (15, 5, and 0 min additions) and it's super strong.

May even consider dropping the golden DME to light or extra light.

jaytizzle said:
Go with crystal/caramel 10L and crystal/caramel 20L if possible. Also, that's a LOT of citra. If that's what you're after then go for it. It's gonna have a ton of mango and grapefruit notes. I used 3oz citra in my brew a few days ago (15, 5, and 0 min additions) and it's super strong.

May even consider dropping the golden DME to light or extra light.

Yup going for the fruity notes. Also its a light golden dme sorry should have clarified.

Brewed this recipe and submitted to York's the 5th annual Homebrew contest.
5 gallon full 60 mins boil
1lb 10L caramel/crystal
7lbs pale LME
1oz citra 45 mins
.5oz citra 15 mins
.5oz citra 5 mins
1.0 citral whole flowers (dry hop)

Steep specialty grains in muslin for 30 mins @ 150Deg after remove grains and start boil. Once boils starts add 3/4 of the LME and start hop schedule. At he last 15 mins add rest of LME

14 days in primary
14 days in secondary (dry hop)

Came out beautiful great color with a grapefruit hoppy aroma

Should clarify.. I've made this IPA with different hops mixing and matching...the grain bill is fine.. Its full body which works for me. It's the citra im wondering about. And this will be my first time with citra pellets. Just curious taking everyone's input.

The citra is fine, just like I said it's a LOT of citra. I would think you could get by with a cheaper/easier to find bittering hop (I used US Magnum) and might not want citra dry hop (I'm going to use Cascade as per Yooper's suggestions). Only one way to find out, though. Brew it and let us know what you think!

id do .5oz for bittering, and use the remaining .5 at flameout. Additionally, i'd get rid of the 10 and 5 additions and double up the flameout and dry, so it would be:

.5oz 60min
1oz 15min
2.5oz flameout (with 20min hop stand)
2oz dry

citra really is best at the end of the boil.

jaytizzle said:
The citra is fine, just like I said it's a LOT of citra. I would think you could get by with a cheaper/easier to find bittering hop (I used US Magnum) and might not want citra dry hop (I'm going to use Cascade as per Yooper's suggestions). Only one way to find out, though. Brew it and let us know what you think!

Well my goal if this turns out good I want to promote it as an all citra IPA. I love citrus grapefruit IPAs. Thought about another buttering hop but again it wouldnt be all citra. I'll update and take pics through out process.

mewithstewpid said:
id do .5oz for bittering, and use the remaining .5 at flameout. Additionally, i'd get rid of the 10 and 5 additions and double up the flameout and dry, so it would be:

.5oz 60min
1oz 15min
2.5oz flameout (with 20min hop stand)
2oz dry

citra really is best at the end of the boil.

Not sure about pellet dry hopping. I've always dry hopped either whole leaf citra or cascade. Is .5 going to be enough to bitter for a semi strong IPA?

Pellet dry hopping is great. Some prefer it to whole cone (less absorption, faster oil release, easier filtering, etc)

Just a strong IPA recipe

1oz citra 60min

1 oz citra 15 min

1 oz citra 10 min

1 oz citra 5 min

1 oz citra flame out

1 ounce whole leaf dry hop 7 days.

Any changes or should this Scheduel be ok.

Hell i'd throw two ounces for dryhopping. IMO Whole Hops work best for dry hopping.

+1 to pellet dry hopping. And with enough late addition hops I don't think IBUs from 60min will be an issue.

I say: carpe diem! Seize the day! No one will agree with you more than... you!

I've never used them for bittering, only for flavor and aroma.They're a very powerful hop in the flavor/aroma area but I really like the tropical fruit flavor that citra gives.Absolutly amazing in an ipa.

mewithstewpid said:
pellet really is great. I always get clogs when i use whole leaf, which is why ive only used pellets and never looked back!

Ive never had a prob with whole hops and clogging..I figured more hop trub and junk I don't need

I use hop bags when using whole cone hops. Have to push to get them through the neck of the carboy, but pulling them out squezes out all the beer so you don't lose as much. Might not be possible with more than 2-3 oz though...

Brewing today :)

image-2786473833.jpg

image-872323278.jpg

Hit my mark around 1.062.
Going to taste after all those hop particles settle.

Attachments

• image-1516256563.jpg
    image-1516256563.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 178
I really like that punch do I'm hoping it compares to a languinitas or a bigger zombiedust.

Just transferred to my secondary With 1oz of whole leaf citra hops. The smell is very fruity i wanted to taste it but I took two readings in the bucket. I bottled a batch right before and just wanted to get it to secondary. Anyhoo fermentation is done at 1.010. And it will sit for about 6-7 days. Very excited to try the final product.

Looks great! Can't wait to see what you have to say about it once it's ready to drink.

Mine is about to be dry hopped, only another week or so. It's smelling and tasting amazing thus far but I didn't do all-citra. Mine is mostly citra but used magnum for bittering and cascade for dry hop.

jaytizzle said:
Looks great! Can't wait to see what you have to say about it once it's ready to drink.

Mine is about to be dry hopped, only another week or so. It's smelling and tasting amazing thus far but I didn't do all-citra. Mine is mostly citra but used magnum for bittering and cascade for dry hop.

Awesome cascade is normally what I dryhop with. I should have tasted mine. :(

Have a Rye IPA almost ready for dry hop, used all cascade in the boil and will be adding a split of cascade and citra for a week. Cascade has come through well in tasting but hoping the citra really takes it to the next level.

fightingfreuds said:
Have a Rye IPA almost ready for dry hop, used all cascade in the boil and will be adding a split of cascade and citra for a week. Cascade has come through well in tasting but hoping the citra really takes it to the next level.

I have done one of my doubles with a citra dryhop. It's very different and IMO gives it a better nose. Can't leave it too long though in secondary my fiancé told me one of my batches smelled a tad of cat urine. I didn't find it offensive but I can see where she got that. That batch was dry hopped for 15 days do now I don't go beyond 6 or 7.

jaytizzle said:
Awesome. I'm dropping my cascade dry hop on Saturday then kegging next saturday. I'm super excited too!

I need to try kegging at some point. I like bottles but seems it would be essier to have a 3 tap keg setup.

Kegging is my absolute favorite. I'm even set up now to bottle off my keg thanks to the Bowie bottler. It's super easy. I'm still in the process of building my 8-tap keezer bar to replace my 2-tap kegerator. Two taps just wasn't enough!

Awesome. I'm dropping my cascade dry hop on Saturday then kegging next saturday. I'm super excited too!

Still want to do a swap with you. Let me know when you're all carbed up and ready to bottle (if you can bottle from your keg anyway!).

Mine is very good. Entering it into our Clubs competition a week from saturday. Just joined the club, so I'm hoping to make a good impression.

Edit: Just read above you have the bowie bottler! Likewise!

jbaysurfer - I'm all about that swap. Once it's carbed to my liking, I'll bottle off a few of them and we'll swap contact info. It'll likely be the end of the month. I'll make sure to send you a PM when I'm ready!

Back