All American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTOLERANCE

Reaction score
My first all grain brew as a recipe from a book a "retired" home brewer gave me.

It was a wheat beer, and I was really broke at the time. Hops were in full shortage so I splurged (??) for cascade hops.After all Cascade Wheat sure sounds refreshing, even if its not to style.

Well, I screwed that one all up. Nottingham yeast (what was I thinking? Even if thats what the recipe called for.) And my mashing process left alot to be desired. That beer didnt clear out even many months later.

Well, I dont like to lose, so back into the wheat beer recipe I went:

All American Wheat.

5 Lbs American 2 row
5 Lbs American White Wheat
.5 carapils
.75 Cascade at 60 min
.50 cascade at 10 min
.50 cascade at 5 min
Weizen 3068 yeast

13.13 qts of water @ 150 for 75 minutes
8.4 qts of wat at 202 degrees at mash out
Sparge with 2.54 gall of 168 degree water.

1.059 OG - hit 1.056
1.014 FG - actual 1.020

Brew has been in the keg for 4 days, and should be a winner. It needs to condition a bit, but its super refreshing. Got a few minor off flavors and odors to condition out (hopefully) but its a good brew.

Changes:

Yeast Starter (see my other thread)
Deconcotion mash would have helped my gravity and I think the off flavors wouldnt have been present. I dont have that ability yet.

Looks like a good wheat beer though, eh?

P1080235.jpg

Looks like a good beer, I did something similar last summer with Amarillo and Cascade. I'm surprised your beer stopped so sweet (64% attenuation). Mashing at 150 F with only half a pound of crystal I would have expected much lower. You migth want to calibrate your thermometer/hydrometer just to make sure they are working.

Did you make a starter? what was your fermentation protocol temperature wise? the beer looks look, but should have finished much, much drier.

All good questions....

No starter....likely my gravity issue. Fermentation temps are pretty consistant at about 55 degrees. As far as I am concerned my OG was fine. Fermentation stalled, and I called it a day, blaming it on the lack of a starter.

You probably should have warmed it up towards the end of fermentation. I like a cold start with 3068, but as fermentation slows you need to boost the temp or the yeast can stall.

Back