all amarillo ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubdrop

Reaction score
So here's what went down today.

.5 # victory malt
.5 # Briess carapils
.5 # briess carmel

3# muntons light dme
3# northwestern gold dme

2oz Amarillo -60min
1oz Amarillo - 30min
1oz amarillo- 15min
1oz amarillo- flame out

6oz priming sugar last 10 min
1 teaspoon Irish moss last 5 min

60 min boil 5 gal starting boil adding 1.5 to top off at the end
Wyeast 1056
SG came out at a woppin 1.076

So with all that flame/help/like away cause you can only help me brew better!!!
Thanks.

the 6oz of priming sugar is most def. added POST fermentation for bottling time, but no big deal there at all, you bumped the gravity by an RCH, and it will most definitely taste like delicious beer. You can never go wrong with Amarillo.

There will be priming sugar added at bottling as I do every batch but I chose not yo dry hop for now. Last batch was done a little different so just trying a different Ave. May change my mind though.
Side note I woke up this morning and realized my gravity ready came before I topped it off. We strained when going into the primary so my their didn't have to deal with an ass load of hops at the bottom and there you have it...no top off. So with that said anyway for someone to give a true guesstimate as to what the gravity reading should be? Is 1.056 unreasonable? The top off was 1.5 gallons. Started with a full 5 gal. If someone needed to know

Your og should be about 1.058.

Simple dilution math - Take the points from your first reading (76) multiply by the original volume (5) and then divide by the new volume (6.5) to get the points of the diluted wort

Your og should be about 1.058.

Simple dilution math - Take the points from your first reading (76) multiply by the original volume (5) and then divide by the new volume (6.5) to get the points of the diluted wort

Formula correct, but you got his numbers wrong I think. The way I read it, his pre-boil volume was 5 gallons, he lost 1.5 gallons during the boil and topped back up to 5 gallon.

76 x 3.5/5 = 1.052 FG.

brewit2it said:
Formula correct, but you got his numbers wrong I think. The way I read it, his pre-boil volume was 5 gallons, he lost 1.5 gallons during the boil and topped back up to 5 gallon.

76 x 3.5/5 = 1.052 FG.

This is correct. That's a number I certainly can agree with right there. Thanks again for the help on this one folks!!

You dry hop that, you dry hop that right now. Ok, maybe not right now, but in like a week or two. With the priming sugar addition to the boil, I'm assuming for a drier beer to let those hops give the drinker a good kick in the teeth, some aroma would go a long way IMHO.

With Amarillos in short supply this year, I'd substitute another hop for the 60 and 30 min additions, maybe a centennial, and save the Amarillos for the flavor and aroma additions.

Maybe dry hop ??? ;)

76 x 3.5/5 = 1.052 FG.

Yup...I misread the original post. Thanks for catching that. :mug:

And perhaps dry hopping would be in order here? Just a thought. :D

There's nothing worse than a great IPA with a minimal hop aroma! I'd certainly consider dry hopping with more Amarillo, and if you want absolute bliss...throw in an oz of Simcoe, if you can score some...best combo ever!

I am still a little confused about the priming sugar, but it sounds like you know you're going to need actual "priming sugar" for priming when you bottle.

Enjoy! That's going to be a tasty IPA!! Amarillo rocks!!

Dome555 said:
You dry hop that, you dry hop that right now. Ok, maybe not right now, but in like a week or two. With the priming sugar addition to the boil, I'm assuming for a drier beer to let those hops give the drinker a good kick in the teeth, some aroma would go a long way IMHO.

Funny! I pretty much decided that I'm gonna dry hop this one. Now just need to decide 1 or 2 oz. My store shares the same parking lot with my work so the thinking about it didn't take long.

Wow...sorry for not posting results. Life has been crazy and enough said. Since today is brew day, first in a while, I'm back with a long overdue update. I ended up going secondary and drop hopping two oz. Of Amarillo. This came out fantastic!!! Huge fan of Amarillo but this beer solidified it. A lot of friends who brew were shocked how good Amarillo is stand alone. Would highly recommend this. Came out to 5.24% I believe and is 100% gone!! I have also posted it under Hopville user name dubdrop. I have more recipes to put up but transferring from binder to online takes time. Enjoy...

Back