Aletoberfest critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
Made this up at my LHBS - whatcha' think?

5 pounds Belgian pilsner (they didn't have German in stock)
5 pounds light German munich malt
2 pounds German vienna malt
.5 pounds Caramunich III

1 oz. German tradition pellet for 60 minutes

WYeast 1007

BIAB - mash for 60 at 152 (hopefully)

looks similar to BierMuncher's well received OktoberFAST recipe.... Although you might be a bit low on
your hops... How many IBUs are you targeting?... Depends on the %AA, I guess...

He uses a couple other crystal malts as well, but the hops stands out the most...

I'm aiming for 20 at the most. When I actually put the recipe into Brewers Friend it gave me about 35 IBU's, but when I called back to double check at the LHBS they verified 20 would be fine even with the whole ounce. I'd rather have it malt heavy than much - if any - hop presence. I don't have the package of hops anymore, but I THINK they read 5.5% alpha.

Check out the recipe for Yooper's Haus Ale as well. It's a similar grain bill but totally different hopping schedule for a super tasty APA..

I'll keep the APA recipe in mind for spring, but for now I wanted a nice malty Mocktoberfest. Since my name is Ed I actually call it Edtoberfest.

not recommending to skip the Edtoberfest, just to notice the similarity of the grain bill between yours and Yooper's and how a different hopping schedule totally transforms the beer...

Once you get a good base you can tweak it a little here and there to get a wide variation...

Back