Ale yeast for 1 gal batch of peach melomel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msarro

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
We ended up picking around 40 lbs of peaches this past weekend. After pickling/preserving/buttering/jamming, we had around 4lbs of peach puree left. Since I have a gallon of honey sitting on top of my fridge, I figured I would put together a gallon batch peach melomel.

Recipe is going to be fairly simple:
2lbs of peach puree
2lbs of honey (autumn mixed wildflower honey from a local apiary)
Snap a cinnamon stick in half and throw that in
1tbsp fresh ground ginger with juice
1/5 of a solution of (1/4 tsp pectic enzyme and 1/4 tsp p-meta mixed in 1 cup boiled water)

Wait 24 hours
Add yeast

I was looking at using an ale yeast this go around as opposed to a wine yeast just to try something different. This recipe based on the gotmead calculator should end up between 10-11%abv, and I'd love to have residual sweetness.

Any ale yeast suggestions for something like this?

Well I have nothing useful to add because I am brand new. I pitched yeast on my first wine (plum) two days ago. Prior to that all we have done is soda pop and stuff like kombucha. HOWEVER the late peaches are ripe here and I have a boatload of peaches so I would love to make a melomel. So I wondered how yours is coming. Are you putting the peach in primary or secondary or both? If you put fruit in secondary, do you still rack to a carboy? If so, how do you get the fruit out? Your recipe sounds great.

Wyeast 1388 is wonderful for mead. Wyeast 3787 would also enhance the Peach flavor. Both would be drinkable very fast if you step feed nutrients.

Back