Ale Pail Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JedSmithBrewery

Reaction score
Ok, I went and bought the 6-7 gallon plastic fermentor called the ale pail.
Very common, so I feel like a huge idiot asking this.... here goes.

HOW DO YOU TAKE THE TOP ON AND OFF. I've tried and succeeded but it seems too hard to do. It literally hurts my hand to rip it off and pushing it on takes SUBSTANTIAL force. Is there some way that you are supposed to have it rotated or something because at this point I just throw it on in no particular fashion. The main reason that I ask is that I'm afriad that when it is full there is no way I can easily move it on an off without aeration.

they make a lid opener that you can buy. i don't like it so i use a u-shaped stove tool that started life as a rack puller.

It only hurts your hand the first few times you take it off, once you've done it a few times its easier.

There is a plastic grip / tool thing you can buy to make it easier to pry the lid off.

Basically I would suggest you don't worry about it. Once you put the lid on, leave it on. Don't want to take it off till you're ready to put it in a secondary or bottle it anyway. You can grit your teeth and pry it off with your fingers then.

By the time you've done a batch or two with it it won't be so tight anymore anyway.

Here you go.

2294p.jpg

Lid Removers - US Plastic Corporation

I just was able to get my fingers under the lid and pull one side up. Once you get one side up, just work it around in a circular motion to get the rest to follow.
I'm thinking mine will loosin' up the more I open/shut it too.

I need one of those little dudes. It was very cold at the house this morning and I had some bottles soaking in one of my buckets to remove labels (I bought them as primaries then came across my 5 gal water jug carboys I now use instead)

To make a long story short I broke a lid this morning trying to remove it. I went and showed it to my wife and explained that is what happens when guy dosen't get "It" on a regular basis.....:D

Mutilated1's advice is good- just don't muck with it until you're ready to rack. I got so sick of snapping those lids on and off that I don't even snap them down any more. I either just lay them on the bucket or replace all my lids with a sheet of plexiglass ala 'open fermenter'!

You don't have to get one of those openers at an LHBS, most hardware stores sell a variation of them for opening up plastic buckets...

I think I'm getting arthritis in my hands, and that tool is a godsend.

My LHBS also sells a bucket w/ a screw on lid. I know, doesn't help you out much now, but when you buy your next fermenter it's something to think about.

Roger that, I was just about sure you guys would say that. I just wanted to check that I was not the only one to understand the issue. Thx I don't think that I'll buy that opener I can just do it myself.

I'm with Revvy and you. Taking those pail lids off hurts me. Especially when I have had wet hands for a while (tenderer skin.)

Back