Ale Pail Lid Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbwhise

Reaction score
Hello all, beginner here.

Just brewed my first 5 gallon batch of an American IPA.

I used a basic kit from a local brew store. My primary fermenter is a typical Ale Pail. My brew day was great and at the end of the day I poured the wort into the fermenter, pitched the yeast, and put the lid + airlock on. I noticed the lid would not 'snap' onafter many attempts. I looked online to see if this was in issue and got mixed results.

I went to bed after the long day and tried snapping the lid on again and sure enough, it snapped just fine.

My question is, is it OK that I did not have the lid completely 'snapped' on overnight?

Thank you!

It will be fine. I tap all around the lid lightly with a hammer when sealing the lid. Works well for me.

Your wort should be fine, unless it was outside and the wind was whipping up a lot of dust.
Don't worry. A lot of buckets in use do not seal well.

Hello all, beginner here.

Just brewed my first 5 gallon batch of an American IPA.

I used a basic kit from a local brew store. My primary fermenter is a typical Ale Pail. My brew day was great and at the end of the day I poured the wort into the fermenter, pitched the yeast, and put the lid + airlock on. I noticed the lid would not 'snap' onafter many attempts. I looked online to see if this was in issue and got mixed results.

I went to bed after the long day and tried snapping the lid on again and sure enough, it snapped just fine.

My question is, is it OK that I did not have the lid completely 'snapped' on overnight?

Thank you!

If everything was well-sanitized, you should have no problem. I remember one veteran brewer on this site that, instead of a snap-on lid, places sanitized aluminum foil loosely over the mouth of the bucket. No airlock. Unless you introduced some foreign matter into the wort while trying to snap the lid, the brew should be fine. Welcome to HBTF! :mug:

Agreed, more than likely no problem.

I prefer Better Bottles. I can see what is going on, and feel they are even easier to clean than my buckets. Oxyclean soak, rinse, insert a cloth and swirl, rinse more and done.

The thing I didn't like about the Brewer's Best style "ale pail" was no lid seal. Under the higher pressures of initial fermentation, it'd leak around the lid. I replaced it with this one with a lid seal; http://www.midwestsupplies.com/7-9-gallon-plastic-fermentor-with-lid.html
It's shorter than the BB ale pail, but holds 7.9 gallons. I also use a rubber mallet to get the lids on & this for getting them off again; http://www.midwestsupplies.com/pail-opening-tool.html
Makes life easier, certainly cleaner...

Back