alcohol smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrone_mike

Reaction score
So the first batch I did i didnt get my wort cooled down enough. Theres no stopper on my sink n the jar i jammed in slipped through so my ice bath went down the drain. Ive since gotten a swamp cooler. But now when i took a gravity reading yesterday (1.012 which was spot on fg) it smells like rubbing alcohol. Undoubtedly because i pitched the yeast to high. Question is ive heard that smell and taste will subside. But should i leave it in the fermenter until it does. Or bottle it and just let the bottles sit for a month.

Thanks!

Mike

Can you tell us what kind of yeast you used and how you controlled fermentation temp (if at all)? My guess is that you fermented too warm, but that's without any additional info.

Safale us-05 and it was mainly around 68 did raise to 70 when out of the house. I did another batch with a swamp cooler i was able to keep that down and just picked up a mini fridge n ordered a johnson control. Didn't realize itd b near impossible with just the thermostat in the house. Ha learned that quick

It's optimal range is 59-75, so it doesn't sound like you would have crossed into the fusel range. How long has it been in primary?

Today will be 10 days in primary. Could it be from the original pitch. Cause that unfortunately was pushing mid 80s when i pitched and was started at 115 or so

Initial fermentation is definitely the most sensitive part, so that is possible. 10 days is relatively short as well. I'd let it sit another week and a half or so and the yeast will do some clean up work and that should help.

It's not necessary to pitch immediately after boiling your wort. If you can't get the temp down all the way, you are better off letting it sit overnight and pitching in the morning. You are probably lucky you didn't kill the yeast at 115.

Yea definitely. I was worried about that. Luckily i started a batch 2 days after cause i was frustrated with the poor performance and that is going beautifully. So ill let this sit bottle it in a week or so then wait a while to.open. so to clarify i can definitely let it cool overnight? Just put the lid on?

It reminds me of my first batch, it's all new to you so you don't know what to expect. Keep reading here, keep refining your technique and be patient. Most batches turn out fine.

Latest posts

Back