Alabama vote.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pearly Gates ( www.yelp.com/biz/pearly-gates-natural-foods-huntsville ) sells brewing supplies. Nice little shop.

Yep.. thats the place I was talking about , but I assume you have never been to a real homebrew shop if you think that place is nice.:D
I have picked up some dry yeast and hops there in a pinch , but I don't go there because they are overpriced and really don't have everything you need to do an all-grain brew. Heck ... if you live in Atlanta , I'm sure you have a selection of real homebrew shops like Brewmasters Warehouse.

Mac McCutcheon did a hell of a job for us yesterday and I wish I could vote him.

Your right about that !!! I sent him and some of the others an email this morning thanking them for everything they did yesterday to get this bill passed out of the House.

Same here for K. L. Brown. He lives about half a mile from me. There are a lot of home brewers in this university town, I've never heard of anyone against it, and everyone I know is glad to get some. I'll be sure to spread the word about Brown. He was one of the sponsors last year who ended up voting against it. There can't be a good reason for that.

Sounds like time for a flaming bag of poo on the front porch.

Yep.. thats the place I was talking about , but I assume you have never been to a real homebrew shop if you think that place is nice.:D
I have picked up some dry yeast and hops there in a pinch , but I don't go there because they are overpriced and really don't have everything you need to do an all-grain brew. Heck ... if you live in Atlanta , I'm sure you have a selection of real homebrew shops like Brewmasters Warehouse.
I said it was a nice little shop not that it was a fully stocked LHBS. Are you recommending no one go there because they are not a dedicated brewing supply dealer? I said they sell brewing supplies which they do. Huntsville would most definitely be ripe for a good LHBS.

Yes, in Atlanta there are quite a few good LHBS.

Heck, I do 12 gallons on a single brew day - sometimes 18 if I do a second 6gallon batch. I guess I'd have to wait 3 months to pitch the 2nd brew. :(

Or ya could brew in the evening across the bounds of a quarter, Like brewing the evening of June 30th into July 1st at 12:01AM :p

Seriously though that limit is horribly low, but as some of the others stated gettting it legalized first is the battle, working on the limits can come later.

Are you recommending no one go there because they are not a dedicated brewing supply dealer?

Not at all ... like I said I still go there in a pinch but definitely not my everyday shop. Sorry, if I come across wrong. :)

Or ya could brew in the evening across the bounds of a quarter, Like brewing the evening of June 30th into July 1st at 12:01AM :p

Seriously though that limit is horribly low, but as some of the others stated gettting it legalized first is the battle, working on the limits can come later.

Yes, at least the nuts that were against the bill were right about one thing. He said" Here we are about to pass this and you know they will be back next year wanting to move the limits up." He was 100% right about that.

Yes, at least the nuts that were against the bill were right about one thing. He said" Here we are about to pass this and you know they will be back next year wanting to move the limits up." He was 100% right about that.

Considering there has been no will to enforce this as a felony, I doubt there will be any will to enforce the limits as a misdemeanor by trying to find us, search diligently through our houses, count all our bottles, and weigh our kegs. Still, it wouldn't be much to ask to raise the storage limit. Depending on how much you like to age things, you could go way over that limit even brewing 15 gallons a quarter.

As for brewing no more than 15 gallons a quarter, I don't think they are going to know. Maybe if you have a fermenter with more than 15 gallons in it, it would be pretty sure you brewed that in the same quarter, but maybe you brewed it at midnight in two quarters.

Congrats to all of you Alabamians here and welcome to the 21st Century! Just make sure you remember to change the dates on your fermenters and kegs, so it looks like you only brewed 15 gal a quarter! BTW, who is going to check it anyway? Like the Home Brew Police will nock on your door? Congrats again! :D

So I ended up emailing a couple folks in the heat of the moment yesterday--despite being a non-Bama resident--and I got a very respectful email back from Wallace. He teetotals for religious reasons and will oppose all alcohol bills of any form, even if he thinks people will be responsible for it.

While I disagree wholeheartedly with his biblical interpretation, I can't begrudge him that. At least it's not based in ignorance about what homebrewing is.

Since there was no exception in the law for making wine by miraculous means, they are saying that if Jesus dared showed His face in Alabama, they'd want to throw Him in the pokey. I guess His mother would be in trouble too, since she put Him up to it. Heretics in the legislature.

Of course, the Lord's mother knew who to go to for some good home brew. I'm sure He usually used yeast, but when you run out of wine at a wedding, it's an emergency.

Jesus was definitely a home brewer, the only question is: "What Would Jesus Brew?"

WWJB

Surely you don't think we are sitting here waiting on legislation to pass so we can brew do you? We just wanted the bill to pass so our hobby isn't illegal anymore.

We jumped the biggest hurdle yesterday with the homebrew bill being passed by the house. I feel good about the bill making it through the senate because the 2011 homebrew bill was actually passed by the senate last year and was defeated in the house.
The majority of legislators that didn't like this bill were more worried about it generating no tax revenue for Alabama. It was more about money than religion. They just know they can mask their argument with religious dogma because none of their constituents want to hear the "T" word.
They kept bringing up "it's about the children" or "oh I'm just so concerned about the children" That is another cheap tactic they like to use.
What you saw yesterday was a desperate, albeit embarrassing, attempt to kill a bill that they knew was going to pass.

Mac McCutcheon did a hell of a job for us yesterday and I wish I could vote him.

Notice the word I used? Legally

I would not wait either, and I don't think anyone should.

My only point is that you won't get there by doing anything other than educating people about what homebrewing REALLY is like. There is ZERO reason not to. Any reason given is BS unfounded rhetoric and supposition.

But Wallace knows what his people want to hear from him. He knows who elected him and why.

I'm sure you'd agree that if a person who promoted homebrewing during his campaign then refused to vote homebrewing in, you'd be pissed. His job is to vote as his people want him to, not to vote contrary to it. That's how it's always been in America, the Union of sovereign states.

I just wish more elected officials would stop trying to have their hands in every dam thing we do as individuals.

But Wallace knows what his people want to hear from him. He knows who elected him and why

This is a fact. That is why I said his e-mail stating that he voted the way he did based on his religious beliefs would not hurt him in his next re-election campaign.

It is the same with any of those that vehemently opposed the bill.

Heard from my own rep. Bolded text is his.

Mr. Suddeth,

Thanks for your e-mail.

I voted against this bill last year in committee and on the floor.

I voted against it this year, in committee, and on the floor.

I will never vote to expand the creation of alcohol or to encourage the consumption of alcohol.

However, I will never vote to keep you or any other citizen from having the right to have your voice heard by the people through a referendum on the creation or consumption of alcohol.

This was not a referendum bill.

I do not drink alcohol.

I do not condemn people who drink alcohol. The legal consumption of alcohol is a personal choice.

Please let me know if you would like to discuss this issue with me further.

JHM
John H. Merrill
State House 62

My issue with this is that his vote prohibits my ability to legally consume homebrewed alcohol.

And yeah, I'll be voting against him come re-election time.

My issue with this is that his vote prohibits my ability to legally consume homebrewed alcohol.

Time to vote this clown out of office. He is probably one you will see coming out of the liquor store just before closing.

A guy that is a deacon at a baptist church isn't going to be pro alcohol on anything in public.

I sent a thank-you email earlier to Mac and just recieved this email back.

"Our Homebrewers deserved to be heard. I was honored to stand and be a
voice on your behalf! We are halfway there and my work will continue to
get our bill before the Senate Committee. Senator Bill Holtzclaw will be
our supporter in the Senate."

Serving You,
Rep Mac McCutcheon

That explains why the bill got sent to the small business committee in the senate. Bill is on that committee.
You are lucky to have such a great guy like Mac as your rep.

I sent this yesterday and got the same response:

Representative McCutcheon,

It is 3:15 and I am listening to the debate on the bill and what I am hearing has compelled me to write and thank you for fighting the good fight. I don't know if it will get to a vote today, but win lose or draw, I thank you for your attempt.

Respectfully,

A guy that is a deacon at a baptist church isn't going to be pro alcohol on anything in public.

If he can't vote on issues on the merits of the issue alone, he needs to pass on the vote. Of course, I'm sure he runs on "I KEEPS THE EVIL BOOZE AWAY FRM THA CHILLUNS", so he has to vote.

See my earlier post. I am an extremely conservative protestant Christian. At one point in my life, I felt "dirty" drinking any beer, thanks to what I had been told all my life.

Funny thing is, that's not what the Bible says.

But that is neither here nor there. Secular laws need to be decided on the basis of secular arguments. If you can't oppose except on religious grounds, you should not oppose - or you should recuse yourself, since you cannot be objective.

I sent a short note to Mac thanking him for his efforts in getting this passed. Let's hope it goes equally well in the Senate.

Al

Here are the members of the Small Business Committee.

Alabama Homebrewers Email the members!

SMALL BUSINESS
McGill, Chairperson; Scofield, Vice Chairperson; Holtzclaw, Irons, Sanford, Smitherman, Williams, Reed (President Pro Tempore Designee).

http://www.legislature.state.al.us/senate/senatecommittees/senatecommittees.html#anchor558977

You can probably strike Reed from the list. One, he doesn't have an email address, two, one of his favorite things to do is sing gospel music.

How can a representative of the people not have an email address in this day and age? That's akin to not owning a phone. How do his constituents communicate with him. Telegrams?

You can probably strike Reed from the list. One, he doesn't have an email address, two, one of his favorite things to do is sing gospel music.

Yeah, I saw this earlier

Senator Reed is a Baptist, and his interests include spending time with his three sons, sporting events, fishing, hunting and singing gospel music.

And I doubt we'll get support from the Vice Chair either:

A member of the Church of Christ, Senator Scofield's interests include hunting and other outdoor activities, and spending time with his family.

I noticed the Bill Holtzclaw, the sponsor in the senate, is a retired US Marine. Oorah!

One thing I didn't realize is Senator Tammy Irons, who is also on the SB committee, is married to Curley Hallman, former head coach of Southern Miss and LSU.

I saw that too. Williams is a military brat with some military schooling and Sanford went to the Culinary Institute of America.

I will write emails to all and will try to sell the cook on the creative recipe aspect, food pairing and wine and food comparisons and talk to Williams as fellow member of the military...

I guess we'll see how it goes.

EDIT:

I see that Williams in a Lt Colonel in the National Guard

OK, how the hell did this guy get elected? And he is the Chair of the Small Business Committee.

Senator Shadrack McGill

Education:
Attended, North Alabama Community College
Diploma, Paint Rock Valley High School

Alabama State Senator Shadrack McGill Claims God is Against Pay Raises for Teachers

Submitted by Michael Allen on Feb 2, 2012
Speaking at a prayer breakfast recently, Alabama State Senator Shadrack McGill invoked God and the bible to stand against pay raises for teachers.

According to The Times-Journal, Sen. McGill said: “It’s a Biblical principle. If you double a teacher’s pay scale, you’ll attract people who aren’t called to teach. To go and raise someone’s child for eight hours a day, or many people’s children for eight hours a day, requires a calling. It better be a calling in your life. I know I wouldn’t want to do it, OK?”

“And these teachers that are called to teach, regardless of the pay scale, they would teach. It’s just in them to do. It’s the ability that God give ‘em. And there are also some teachers, it wouldn’t matter how much you would pay them, they would still perform to the same capacity. “If you don’t keep that in balance, you’re going to attract people who are not called, who don’t need to be teaching our children. So, everything has a balance.”

Ironically, Sen. McGill voted in favor of a 67 percent pay raise for lawmakers in 2007.

As of press time, God had not issued a comment regarding Alabama State Senator McGill's claims.

LOL!

I emailed and/or called everyone on the list that the alabama homebrewers site had up. Got positive replies from my local reps and senator. Actually a personal call back from my senator telling me she has always supported the bill and would continue to do so (unfortunately I missed the call and she left it as a voice mail)

I emailed and/or called everyone on the list that the alabama homebrewers site had up. Got positive replies from my local reps and senator. Actually a personal call back from my senator telling me she has always supported the bill and would continue to do so (unfortunately I missed the call and she left it as a voice mail)

Good deal :mug:

I contacted everyone on the small business committee except for the guy that loves to sing gospel music. ;)
I contacted my senator, Tom Whatley, and he said he would do everything he could to help us. He is one of the good guys.

wailingguitar, I'm glad to hear your senator is for the bill because she is also on the small business committee.

Contact info for Senator Reed:

Greg Reed address:

You may E-mail me at: [email protected] or call me at: (205) 295-1523.

You may also write me at:
Greg Reed
800 Highway 78 East, Suite 200, #106
Jasper, AL 35501

The end of the session is fast approaching and the bill is just getting to committee. I got an email from one of the proponents for the bill saying there was some confusion about which committee the bill was supposed to go to. I hope we aren't running out of time.

Back