Alabama Homebrew Legislation update (Wish 'em luck)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very Sad. Can we get a list on how each member of house voted? I'd like to know. So I can personally make sure I never vote for any of them. Sick of people in power forcing their morals on others because they can.

Very Sad. Can we get a list on how each member of house voted? I'd like to know. So I can personally make sure I never vote for any of them. Sick of people in power forcing their morals on others because they can.

Usually they vote how their constituents want them to vote. Mostly the most vocal or the people who stood behind them when they got elected.

I don't think that legalizing Homebrewing was the most important thing they had on their minds at the time.

Eventually common sense will win out if they are educated enough.

Usually they vote how their constituents want them to vote. Mostly the most vocal or the people who stood behind them when they got elected.

I don't think that legalizing Homebrewing was the most important thing they had on their minds at the time.

Eventually common sense will win out if they are educated enough.

Not sure what happen in this case. Co-Sponsor of bill changed his mind and voted no....stupid.

I listened to the audio of the Alabama house when they debated the homebrewing issue for over an hour. It was very sad to hear some of the stupid comments made from the opponents :
*Children would become wino's with homebrew in the house
*People would get sick drinking the homebrew
*Uncontrolled homebrew would lead to bootlegging
*Loss of revenue because people would make homebrew and not buy it anymore
*More drunk drivers on the road
*Teen partys with free homebrew would become rampant across the state.

One legislator discussed an analogy between homebrew and buying shaving lotion from the drugstore and drinking it. Another suggested Noah was a wino and made homebrew on the Ark because he was bored.

These are the idiots that are making laws in the state of Alabama. No wonder Alabama is almost last in every statistic. Sad to say but if it wasn't for Mississippi , Alabama would be last in everything.

Taking these complaints seriously for a moment - is there ANY evidence that this has happened in other states ? ? What no? hmm... then all of those ideas are crap.... - end of taking the statements seriously.

Not sure what happen in this case. Co-Sponsor of bill changed his mind and voted no....stupid.

Wait, the CO-SPONSOR voted no?? WTF??

Ok, I retract my former statement. Dude should have known the plus/minus of his own bill before proposing it. At least enough to be able to refute the completely false and exaggerated claims by those opposed to it.

It's not like homebrewing is a new and unusual practice...

Man, do I feel sorry for you guys now. crap.

Wow, isn't Alabama in the U.S.? Isn't brewing a time honored tradition brought from Europe to the new world by our forefathers? Does a state government really have the right to say you can consume a food/drink but only if you buy it? That's like saying that I can order dominoes but if I make my own pizza the BCA has the right to prosecute me.
I feel bad for you all in 'bama. Best of luck next Tim around

Wow. And I thought NJ was bad. Even we're "allowed" to brew in the most heavily regulated and taxed state.

Man, just checked out this thread out of curiosity and I wished i hadnt'. I could feel myself getting more and more ignorant while I watched that video. To hear that kind of "representation" of the people is absolutely disgusting. And this is coming from someone living in the state that keeps re-electing Harry Reid.

I am from birmingham ... And i must say this politician is just one of many law makers... You wonder why birmingham is so behind ... This is the reason why!

Dumb politicians. In MS we can make homemade wine but not homebrew. We can't buy beer with over 5% ABV, but we can buy wine and spirits with unlimited ABV. How does any of that make sense?

Our governor (Haley Barbour) did make a pro homebrew proclamation last year. That's nice, but, still the legislature won't let a homebrew bill or a craftbrew bill out of committee.

My town (Starkville, MS) just started allowing beer and "light" wine sales on Sundays last year. Getting that change was a big fight with all kinds of mis-information from the opposition.

Slow progress. Someday I will be able to legally homebrew.

Boy I guess all of this is just stuff that i take for granted. I cant imagine having to brew beer incognito. It just sounds weird to me.

As much as I support the efforts to legalize homebrew in 'Bama (I'm a former resident of Birmingham), I'm sure they have more important things on their mind at the moment.

Can we temporarily give the issue a rest and maybe focus more on helping those in need?

It always amazes me how one group of citizens (politicians) feel it's their right to dictate how other people are to behave, even in the comfort of their own homes, and when it involves such a "trivial" issue as homebrewing in which no one gets harmed.

Hang in there Alabama! (for this and the unfortunate weather catastrophe)

Yeah, I kind of take Floridas' rules for granted as well. Our state has been loosening up a bit (they have made the rules governing bottle size and abv a bit more lenient) -we can legally brew 200gal per year (but who's counting? And seriously, thats still a lot of beer).
There really are some pretty backward states and counties in our great country -I still get a kick out of the fact that Jack Daniels is distilled in a dry county!

Roll Beer Roll! It's too bad Jesus didn't turn water into beer; Bama woulda been brewin long ago...

Done/done/done. So I guess now it is okay for me to continue using the Internet to talk about homebrew.

Back