Airtight 2-Gallon Fermenting Bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGag453

Reaction score
Over the last year I have slowly moved to making 1-gallon batches of fruit wine and mead. Over a year ago I bought a 2-gallon primary fermentation bucket at a local store and have been using it ever since. I am ready to invest in 3-4 more, but the store no longer carries them.

Anyway, has anybody had any luck purchasing 2 gallon fermentation buckets online? After reading the reviews on a number of supply websites, it seems like most of the buckets are purposely not airtight, or unintentionally leak gas. I am looking for high-quality buckets that I can utilize an airlock with for peace of mind.

First, I'd start by simply asking the store to order a few on their next supply shipment. Second, why do you need an airtight primary? I use the 6.5gal bucket for my 1gal batchs, with the lid on but loose, and no airlock in the hole. Oxygen is a good thing during primary fermentation, and when you stir a couple times a day it is to help introduce more of it into the must (as well as keep the yeast in suspension). After racking into secondary is when we're trying to keep the oxygen out.

You definitely don't need an "airtight" primary for wine- heck, I don't even have a lid for my primary fermenters for wine! Once fermentation slows, of course, the wine is racked into a carboy with no headspace (at about day 5). So a bucket has limited usefulness anyway in winemaking.

If you really really really want small-ish buckets, check with your grocery store's bakery. They get fruit fillings, peanut butter, and icing in 2 gallon buckets with lids.

Back