Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope...
I've sucked a whole lot of Star-san into a couple carboys once. I'd guess someplace around 1/2 gallon between the two. Cold-crashing stupidity....
Drank both beers and am still alive, and honestly, I didn't even taste it.

I heard a couple of guys using it for the airlock to prevent an infection from occuring, I figure that since you don't wash it off before using it it can't kill ya :)

Chlorinated city water might not be so bad, but well water like mine...hell no. I use vodka in my airlocks.

I would say that the majority of brewers use either a Starsan solution or vodka in their airlocks.

Water would probably work but it is not sanitized.

I also read a lot of threads of people worrying about starsan sucked into the fermenter.

If you sanitize the fermenter with Starsan and leave it wet you probably have the same amount to start.

I have also read of blow off containers of a gallon or more getting sucked back. Really? Why use so much? Your really only need enough to make it work as an airlock.

I only use Starsan

I would say that the majority of brewers use either a Starsan solution or vodka in their airlocks.

Water would probably work but it is not sanitized.

I also read a lot of threads of people worrying about starsan sucked into the fermenter.

If you sanitize the fermenter with Starsan and leave it wet you probably have the same amount to start.

I have also read of blow off containers of a gallon or more getting sucked back. Really? Why use so much? Your really only need enough to make it work as an airlock.

I only use Starsan

I use star san in the airlock for primary or short term secondary (dry hop, oak, etc.), but for anything remotely longterm I use everclear. I generally don't drink clear distillates, so I figure if I'm gonna buy one for my airlocks, Everclear is twice as toxic as vodka. :mug:

I use StarSan in my airlock now. I've always used it in blow-off buckets/jugs. Those buckets/jugs (half filled with StarSan solution) are always on the floor so that nothing CAN go up the tube into the fermenter.

Since I almost never have vodka on hand, it's easier (and far cheaper) to use some StarSan. Worst case, I can take some out of the spray bottle to fill an airlock. :D

If you use idophor or one-step. I would switch it out or add to it every week. I dont think it lasts too long in basements.Any other low-risk area(like a cool-draft free closet) is probably not a problem.Unless you are cooking bacon daily in it.:confused:

\

Since I almost never have vodka on hand, it's easier (and far cheaper) to use some StarSan.

I disagree with that. 1 litre of StarSan = $20, 1 litre of cheap Vodka = $5. I went through a litre of Vodka in my airlocks the past year (with the occasional mixed drink sneak from my SWMBO).

DoubleAught said:
I disagree with that. 1 litre of StarSan = $20, 1 litre of cheap Vodka = $5. I went through a litre of Vodka in my airlocks the past year (with the occasional mixed drink sneak from my SWMBO).

I doubt anyone uses starsan conentrate in their airlocks :) one litre of starsan mixed to specifications is quite cheap. I just use left over from my sanitization procedure.

Right, but you dilute star san to 1 oz/5 gal, making it far less expensive than even the cheapest of vodka.

I doubt anyone uses starsan conentrate in their airlocks :) one litre of starsan mixed to specifications is quite cheap. I just use left over from my sanitization procedure.

D@mn, speedy. :mug:

Back