Airlock too full?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorback_Jack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello brethren of the brew!
I'm on my third brew and totally enjoying the newfound love. I use vodka in my airlock, and tonight I saw that it had dropped below the "fill line" in my three-piece airlock. So I topped it off. However, I think I put in too much. The little piece inside is touching the lid every time a bubble pops up. But there is still a gas bubble escaping every couple seconds. So is this a problem? If so how can I remove some of the liquid without interrupting the process or contaminating my brew? Attaching a picture below...

Thanks very much!
JacksonView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1433739547.794644.jpg

Use the tip of a paper towel to absorb some of the vodka if you think it is over filled. A small sipping straw would also work.

You don't even need to use an airlock for the first several days. I never do.

Your fine. Worst case is you got a drop or two of vodka in your beer. Who cares?

I'd let it be

Great idea, that's the sip of vodka my wife didn't see me pour.
You can't over fill the air lock, it will always be blown out to a level that it works.

If you wanted to ditch the vodka idea you could just take the top off the air lock, toss the guts and attach a hose to the inside and run it to a bowl of starsan. This way if you get a crazy fermentation there is no beer on the ceiling.

Make a bloody mary with the vodka, chuck the lid and put cling-film held down with the seal-ring. You know it makes sense.

You are good bud but you should use a blow-off setup in case your fermentation goes crazy and are not avail to monitor 24/7. In my experience starsan is the better choice but vodka will do just fine. I see nothing wrong with your image.

Thanks to all for the encouragement and advice. I used a blowoff tube with my last brew and good thing, it was an extremely active ferment. I tried to use it this time and discovered it wasn't airtight, so I put my airlock on it instead. The tube must have a leak or something. My primary is a bucket with about a gallon and a half of headspace. Still, I plan to use a blowoff into a bottle of StarSan for the future.

Back