Airlock Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tharrel1

Reaction score
I have been fermenting in the primary since Sunday. No bubbling into the airlock but no big deal because of the posts I have read here. I went back and read the instructions that came with my kit and noticed the following line.

A head of foam (called krausen) will have formed and CO2 should be bubbling out of the airlock
(half filled with water!)

I noticed the statement "half filled with water!".. My airlock has no water in it. Was I supposed to fill it half way before inserting it into the blow hole? Hopefully everything is cool and no big deal.

Thanks everyone!

I think you will be fine. But you should definitely fill the airlock with something. I would recommend filling it with a little vodka since it is sterile. The water prevents air from being able to get into the carboy. The CO2 produced from fermentation will push all the oxygen out and the airlock keeps it out. Fill it with some vodka and you should be fine. I say to use vodka because that way if you get a little into the beer it's not going to hurt it. Good luck.

Theres a line on the airlock about halfway. You should fill it with Starsan or no rinse sanitizer, vodka, or pre-boiled water. Creates a barrier so nothing can get in while still allowing the co2 to escape. I'd do that now, and in the future.

PS your beer will be fine.

yeah the standard 3 piece type of airlocks need water in them to work properly. Think about it... How would it bubble without the water.

Better then water is to use some sanitizer in the airlock. I use star san in mine.

Thanks for the quick reply everyone. I will take care of it when I get home this afternoon.

No wonder I havent seen the slightest bubbling..

Rookie mistake.

Cheers!

But even with water in it airlock don't always bubble. That's the point of all the posts you said you've read.....

Well there is condensation in the airlock but you are correct sir.

I have learned a lot from reading your posts Revvy... Except the fact that I needed to put some type of sanitized liquid in the airlock. :D

Back