Airlock only active for 48 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyDarling

Reaction score
This is my first brew, so forgive me if I might be freaking out for no reason, but in concerned that the yeast isn't doing its part of the beer making process

My airlock was pretty active for the first day or so. It started bubbling within the first 12 hours. As of right now it isn't bubbling more than once per 2 or 3 minutes.

I was slightly worried when I pitched my yeast, because I boiled and cooled the water to activate the yeast, but it was pretty cold when I put my yeast in. (56 degrees). My wort was at 68. Did I shock the yeast?

I'm using US05. My fermenter is sitting in a room that ranges between 65 and 68 degrees.

Am I going to have 2% abv? I don't have a hydrometer yet (it's being shipped) but I have a cup of pre pitched wort chilling in the fridge so I can get an og soon. Is this normal at all? I thought the 3rd and 4th day was supposed to be the most active.

56 is low. Good news is that it kicked off big. Bubbles in the airlock mean nothing at all. When you get your hydro, wait until it's been at least two weeks, check it, check it again three days later. If it's steady, package it and send it to me. You ruined it.

There's no hard and fast rule about which days after pitching are the most active. Same thing with length of time for of airlock activity.

There are a number of variables (temps, pitch rate, strain, gravity, etc.) that make each batch different. Relax, let that fermenter sit for another 10 days before grabbing a sample so you can try out that new hydrometer.

You may want to check the hydrometer for accuracy using distilled water. Mine are both off a bit and marked so that I know which one reads .002 high and which one reads .002 low.

In my experiences, when the airlock rapid bubbling slows or stops, generally only initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly, uneventfully creep down to a stable FG. I then give it 3-7 days to clean up any by-products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty. I usually take the 1st FG sample @ 10-14 days in to see how far along it is. Like others mentioned, temp, health & size of yeast pitch, & how close the temp of the rehydrate/starter was to current wort temp at pitch time all have bearing on how fast it starts & ferments out.

Sounds like everything went off well. You will usually see bubbling in the first few days, then it stops. Nothing to worry about...it is still working, just not producing as much CO2.

airlock activity doesn't really mean anything at all. Don't judge fermentation by airlock bubbles. Judge it by gravity readings. Once you get your hydrometer take your fridge sample and then take a sample from the fermentor. Be sure to warm your fridge OG sample up to room temp before you take a reading. I'm sure you're fine. Sa05 rips through wort pretty quickly.
I usually just take 2 gravity readings these days. OG and FG. I let the beer sit for 2-3 weeks before I take the FG. I use the same house yeast for most of my beers since I pretty much just brew American style ales so I know where it's going to kickout at. Once you get a few under your belt, and if you keep brewing the same beers, you'll know what to expect from your setup and the yeast.

As for myself, I use a hydrometer for OG & FG, always a good habit. But it is also my experience that when the rapid bubbling slows or stops, only initial fermentation is over. If the thing bubbles at all. I've had one or two fermentations go off without a single bubble. But that's been awhile. If the FV seals decent, it'll bubble like crazy the first 1-5 days or so in my experiences.

Ok. Thanks guys! I feel a lot better. It's still going slow and steady at once every couple of minutes.

I opened the fermenter because I couldn't wait to see. It looks and smells great. Like pine and grapefruit. So excited! Sorry, 1977, im going to ride this one out.

Back