airlock on the secondary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pashley

Reaction score
Hello all. So, I racked my first batch to the secondary about 5 days ago. I stoppered it, but forgot to get an extra airlock for the hole in the stopper. I covered the stopper with some foil to prevent particle contamination, but it isnt exactly airtight. Am I going to have oxygen issues? Thanks!

Why couldn't you use the airlock from the primary? They are pretty cheap, not a bad idea to have a couple around. I don't think foil is going to do it.

I wonder if a check valve like this one would work. I find standard three piece airlocks to be a very clumsy device that begs for a simpler solution. I get annoyed trying to remove the airlock while trying not to spill any of the StarSan. They also crack ridiculously easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find standard three piece airlocks to be a very clumsy device that begs for a simpler solution. I get annoyed trying to remove the airlock while trying not to spill any of the StarSan.

why do you care if you spill StarSan? it wont hurt your beer and is cheap enough not to care if you waste an ounce or two.

to the OP. the foil isn't gong to cut it. its fine if your making a starter because you want the yeast to get as much O2 as they can. but for a secondary your taking your beer life into your own hands. i would suggest flooding the head space with CO2 and find a way to plug the hole in the stopper. personally i'm a big fan of the orange carboy caps. they stay on and you don't have to worry about dunkenly shoving the stopper into the carboy.

The foil is okay in a pinch, but ideally you want to keep oxygen out. Just don't secondary for more than a week or two and you'll be fine.

You will be fine. Lots of folks use similar and it's not like the oxygen is going to crawl in under the foil to attack your beer. :D

On my last brew, I used plastic rap for the primary and secondary. No ill effects. Though an airlock is always better.

Back