Airlock Leaked Sanitizer Into Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michar

Reaction score
I just brewed a batch yesterday, and after checking up on it a few hours later, I realize that my airlock had leaked out into the beer. Should I be concerned about this at all? It's Star-San and I know that the bubbles are harmless and actually can be eaten by the yeast, but do I need to be concerned about a larger (airlock sized amount) in my beer?

Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's definitely not going to harm you - you could drink a glass of properly diluted Star San and be fine. I wouldn't expect such a small amount will harm your beer, either.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's definitely not going to harm you - you could drink a glass of properly diluted Star San and be fine. I wouldn't expect such a small amount will harm your beer, either.

Thanks for the reassurance!

I've had that happen and have subsequently switched over to vodka for the airlock. Provides a little piece of mind, and maybe an occasional tiny boost in abv :D .

There was probably more sanitizer on the walls of your ferementer than in the entirity of your airlock.

I go back and forth between vodka and Star San. Either way, there's nothing to worry about.

I used to use bleach until I realized that it could back up into my brew... then I stopped using bleach. Fortunately it was never an issue for me.

I switched from cheap vodka to 80 proof white moon (legal kind) mixed 50/50 with Starsan. The moon keeps the Starsan from foaming too much besides providing that extra kick in the slats for nasties.

Back