Airlock Leaked Sanitizer Into Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Michar

Reaction score
I just brewed a batch yesterday, and after checking up on it a few hours later, I realize that my airlock had leaked out into the beer. Should I be concerned about this at all? It's Star-San and I know that the bubbles are harmless and actually can be eaten by the yeast, but do I need to be concerned about a larger (airlock sized amount) in my beer?

Thanks.

boydster

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. It's definitely not going to harm you - you could drink a glass of properly diluted Star San and be fine. I wouldn't expect such a small amount will harm your beer, either.

OP
M

Michar

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. It's definitely not going to harm you - you could drink a glass of properly diluted Star San and be fine. I wouldn't expect such a small amount will harm your beer, either.
Thanks for the reassurance!

Malty_Dog

Reaction score
I've had that happen and have subsequently switched over to vodka for the airlock. Provides a little piece of mind, and maybe an occasional tiny boost in abv :D .

OP
M

Michar

Reaction score
I've had that happen and have subsequently switched over to vodka for the airlock. Provides a little piece of mind, and maybe an occasional tiny boost in abv :D .
That's true! I would not be worried at all if it were vodka!

tmendick

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There was probably more sanitizer on the walls of your ferementer than in the entirity of your airlock.

Rotgut

Reaction score
I go back and forth between vodka and Star San. Either way, there's nothing to worry about.

I used to use bleach until I realized that it could back up into my brew... then I stopped using bleach. Fortunately it was never an issue for me.

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I switched from cheap vodka to 80 proof white moon (legal kind) mixed 50/50 with Starsan. The moon keeps the Starsan from foaming too much besides providing that extra kick in the slats for nasties.

OP
M

Michar

Reaction score
I switched from cheap vodka to 80 proof white moon (legal kind) mixed 50/50 with Starsan. The moon keeps the Starsan from foaming too much besides providing that extra kick in the slats for nasties.
That is awesome!