Airlock Fell Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eden192

Reaction score
Ok, so I brewed my first batch ever last night trying for a Brewer's Best Kolsh beer. It all went really well and I was really happy with everything until I was moving it into my fermentation bucket. For whatever reason the airlock didn't want to fit into the rubber gasket but I got it on after a few minutes. Then I went to bed since it was 3 AM and I had a 6:30 AM class this morning (thankfully I'm an insomniac). I decided to check it before I left for class and the airlock had fallen off. I refilled it and replaced it but I was wondering if this was likely to have an negative effects.
My assumptions are no based on two possible theories. First, and I assume most likely, is that it's not a problem because the hole is so small it wouldn't allow a ton of oxygen in and that oxygenating the wort in the beginning is a good thing, combined with the short period of time. Secondly, and I assume this is more likely to be the case around 12-36 hours in, I assumed it might not be a problem with fermentation starting CO2 would keep the oxygen out of the small hole. Are either of these likely to be the case?

Also, one other question that I just haven't seen anywhere that I was wondering about. The way I understand it, oxygen getting to the wort is not a good thing, so while it's in the primary fermentation bucket, how do I check it to see how it's coming along? Is it ok to crack the lid to take a look as long as it's quick, or what should I do?

I wouldn't worry about the airlock falling off, you should be OK. Besides, there isn't anything you can do about it now any way. Oh, and for your second question ... no peeking! After 7-10 days if there is no airlock activity you should do a gravity reading. Other than that, just eave it alone.

The yeast is creating positive pressure via CO2 being released. Also, CO2 is heavier than air so it will continue to blanket the beer. You are in little to no danger of this causing a problem.

As to your second question, I crack the lid when necessary. More oxygen == less stability over time in general, but if it is a beer that will be consumed quickly it is never an issue.

I think you'll be fine with the airlock falling out. You are correct in CO2 being your friend. It really isn't even a matter of keeping oxygen out of the bucket, but off of your beer. Obviously, having nothing but CO2 in the bucket is the safest option. That also kind of answers your next question about checking on the beer. Leave it alone. At least for a good 7-10 days. Then, start checking your hydrometer readings every other day. You aren't missing alot. I know, its hard. We've all been there. Its just beer with some ugly looking foam and crud right now. The longer you can just let it sit and do its thing, the happier you will be with your results.

Ok, I'll say it: RDWHAHB! You're fine and we all obsessed over our first batch. You're in good company here.

Awesome. Thanks for the quick replies everyone. That was way faster than I expected. I'll leave everything alone for at least a week to see how it's coming along.

The airlock in primary for the first day or so is more for keeping bad bugs out, not so much for the oxidation. After the wort turns more into beer, then oxygen starts to matter.

Funny, I came on here today with this exact situation. I also used Brewer's Best (Northface Nutbrown) but I'm using their kit as well. Like you I'm not sure why the airlock popped off other that there was a screw loose in the operator :D
Popped it back on this morning after i would say 7 hours or so and getting some bubbling every 1-2 secs. My first batch as well, do you guys think there is any danger in it coming off again? Is this a common thing. Made sure it was firmly in the gasket this time.
Thanks

Back