Airlock Evaporation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimba009

Reaction score
So i went out of town for a few days and when i came back my airlock had evaporated to no airlock. the beer looks ok (it has been in the primary for almost three weeks now) but when i checked the gravity it was at 1.020 (about .006 high). Did my alcohol evaporate?:(

If you used something like everclear, then ya, it most likely evaporated, which is why a lot of people don't like to use it. Cheap vodka or some starsan are good substitutes for the future

Don't worry about it. There is CO2 in that airlock that will keep out any nasties. On your next batch, throw away your airlock before starting...:D

Let me clarify this a little. the airlock had minimal liquid in it when i came back so it was kind of open air, just worried my beer has no alcohol in it. Soulive, why throw away the airlock on the next batch?

Let me clarify this a little. the airlock had minimal liquid in it when i came back so it was kind of open air, just worried my beer has no alcohol in it. Soulive, why throw away the airlock on the next batch?

Like I said, with or without liquid in the airlock - CO2 will move through it and keep out the bad stuff. It has nothing to do with the alcohol in your beer. The gravity reading of 1.020 means there is alcohol in your beer and trust me, its not going anywhere. You should throw away your airlock because it is evil and will mislead you if you continue to let it...

I don't think too many people here will agree to toss your airlock and not use it for what it is intended to do - keep out the bad stuff, while letting out air. Using it to gauge fermentation advancement, is not its job, so its not very good at it, but keep it. Use your hydrometer for gauging fermentation, and don't use a liquid so volatile in your airlock next time. Most people recommend starsan, although regular water works just fine as well.

I was half-kidding about getting rid of your airlock, but honestly you don't need it. Either setup a blowoff tube or just put some foil over the hole in your lid. Airlocks are really more entertaining than useful...

Thanks for the advice, i guess i am probably being just over paranoid. This is only the third batch i have brewed and this is the first time the fg didn't quite get to where it was supposed to, but the raw beer before bottling was tasty so bottled it anyway. i see some yeast settling on the bottom of the bottles so that is good. Hope i don't have bottle bombs going off!

Back