Airlock contents

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason is that it is unlikely harmful bacteria will live in vodka. If suckback occurs and the liquid is pulled from the airlock into your fermenter, it won't bring with it any nasties and it will have little effect on the taste of your brew.

I've used straight tap water and one-step sanitizer. I've had no issues with either. I generally use the sanitizer because it's already in the airlock when I pull it out of my sanitizing bucket to put into the fermenter.

I think vodka doesn't evaporate, either, so if you live in a dry climate that might be preferable. I just use water, though, for all of my wines and beers.

I think vodka doesn't evaporate, either, so if you live in a dry climate that might be preferable. I just use water, though, for all of my wines and beers.

Vodka should evaporate faster, although I've never actually compared real world results. :p

I've used water,starsan,& vodka in my airlocks. The vodka doesn't evaporate very fast at all,& doesn't foam out the top like starsan. It's the cheap 42 proof vodka from the grocery store. Any nasties that get into it die of alcohol poisoning. For lent,I gave up vodka drinking,& keep a pint around for my airlocks in my fermenter stand.

I like to drink the vodka post ferment, it's like a better flavored (hop) designer vodka

Hmmm...the vodka in my first batch's fermenter has turned a bit golden...:cross: & you don't have to "live in filth" to have nasdties & wild yeasts in the air. It's just good insurance.

Latest posts

Back