Airlock contamination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strat6255

Reaction score
I brewed a brewers best oatmeal stout. For the first time, I tried filling the airlock with vodka. I read that it helps keep out infection and bacteria. I checked my beer and the airlock had little hints of brown in the airlock. What is that from? I've never seen that before.

Its most likely the krausen (foam made by the yeast). If it rises too high it will often get pushed into the airlock. As long as the airlock isn't completely plugged up everything is fine.

Happy brewing.

Sounds like the krausen may have entered the airlock. It's probably just hop trub and some yeast. Either that or the airlock was dirty before you used it.

In the beginning I used vodka in the airlock too, but switched to Starsan. Cheaper and use the vodka for other things. Nothing gets past a Starsan airlock either.

Grind or cut the star shaped "restrictor" off the bottom of your 3-piece airlock, and fasten a 1/2" ID blow off tube to the top of the riser stem next time. Or one day you'll get a rude awakening.

When I get a violent fermentation, I try cooling the wort 1-2 degrees and I open the lid just a touch, leave the airlock on though and I put it back a couple hours later.

In the beginning I used vodka in the airlock too, but switched to Starsan. Cheaper and use the vodka for other things. Nothing gets past a Starsan airlock either.

Grind or cut the star shaped "restrictor" off the bottom of your 3-piece airlock, and fasten a 1/2" ID blow off tube to the top of the riser stem next time. Or one day you'll get a rude awakening.

What would happen?

The stem will plug up,& the pressure makes the airlock nuke the ceiling. not to mention..."thar she blows!"...damn,damn,damn ye blasted fermenter!

The airlock can get clogged with hop debris and trub, pressure builds up and then the airlock is eventually erupted out of the carboy or bucket. Then you have a mess to cleanup.

I use a big fermentation bucket with a loose lid. No issues. No blow off tubes. No infections ever. This obsession with total containment is not based in microbiological reality. After all, Beer has been fermented in open containers for centuries...yes, sanitation is important, but keep things in perspective.

I use a big fermentation bucket with a loose lid. No issues. No blow off tubes. No infections ever. This obsession with total containment is not based in microbiological reality. After all, Beer has been fermented in open containers for centuries...yes, sanitation is important, but keep things in perspective.

I do the same thing, but with a small weight on the lid to minimize any gaps where fruit flies might enter. I seal it after the kraeusen drops.

Back