airlock AND blowoff tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneygumbleburb

Reaction score
if you have both, any reason to not use both an airlock and blowoff tube at the same time? I have both lying around, and figured no reason not to use both in case of violent fermentation.

With a blow of tube you would not want to use an airlock. It would only inhibit the escaping CO2 from blowing into whatever you have your blow off tube stuck into. Not sure how having two would help or even work.

I've used the big one inch blow off tube and it works well but I feel it is over kill. I now use a 1/4" hole that fits into a plastic bottle (drilled for a breather) and third filled with starsan. After major fermentation is over I will swith to a three piece airlock filled with vodka.

There would be nothing to stop the blow-off entering the the airlock and making a mess, this is the problem with them that necessitates the use of the blow-off tube during active fermentation.

I've used the big one inch blow off tube and it works well but I feel it is over kill. I now use a 1/4" hole that fits into a plastic bottle (drilled for a breather) and third filled with starsan. After major fermentation is over I will swith to a three piece airlock filled with vodka.

Why vodka? I use Star San and have never thought of using vodka.

I use vodka as when I drop the temp, there is a chance of the liquid being drawn into the brew. If you cold crash your primary, this does happen. I know it's said that Starsan is okay but I don't want to drink the stuff. I guess it's just me. (I use cheap vodka by the way)

Right on. That makes since, I've gotten to where I rarely cold crash now.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

i thought of using both because once i had foam get into the airlock and clog it, causing the lid to blow off my 5 gallon bucket, and causing a huge mess.

With the that orange top piece people often have for carboys, there are 2 exits on it. I figured if i put the airlock hose on one exit and the air lock on the other, it would (hopefully) leave one exit freed if the foam gets too high and clogs the other. Just figured the more exits for CO2 incase of foam causing clogging, the better. I know its likely overkill.

:rockin::rockin::rockin:

What you say does make some sense but you it's very unlikely you would clog a blow off tube. So just the tube should be fine. As for cold crashing, by the time fermentation is done I move to a 3 piece airlock with star-san. So I don't have to worry about it getting sucked back up into the primary. If a little star-san gets sucked back in, no biggie. Some people remove the airlock all together and cap it with foil when cold crashing. Whatever works for you I suppose.

Back