Airlock activity for Bavarian Dopplebock at cold temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunkTruck

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am doing the Bravarian Dopplebock kit using S-23 yeast.

I followed instructions to a T so to speak. and after 2 1/2 days at 66 degrees there was a good foamy Krausen and tons of airlock activity.

As per the instructions I moved to a colder spot to do the next phase of fermentation.

Carboy is wrapped in a blanket on a table temps are 50 degrees at night and 55 during the day in the basement.

The Krausen dissapated quite a bit over the last two days. maybe from the drop in temp, or shaking when i moved it downstairs or maybe both?

After 2 days the airlock has completly stopped bubbling.

Is this normal? I never did a lager or worked with this yeast before so i just don't know if this is behaving as it should.

what do ya think?

I'm using S-23 in a bock right now.

I've seen krausen go away and not recover after it's been stirred in, but from 66 to potentially 50 is a fair drop. Possibly enough to knock it out, as that's 2F away from the yeast's tolerance. Air lock activity isn't a great way to guage fermentation.
Just take a gravity reading now and in a couple days, if there is no change at all, try warming it up. It may just need a couple days to acclimate, as you're still within the yeast's operating temps.

Curious how your doppelbock is going.
Any follow up?

seems to still be fermenting. I did readings every 2 days. gravity is dropping slowly. i'm fermenting in a big mouth bubbler. i suspect the 2 pc cap is not sealing properly, causing my airlock to not bubble.

seems to still be fermenting. I did readings every 2 days. gravity is dropping slowly. i'm fermenting in a big mouth bubbler. i suspect the 2 pc cap is not sealing properly, causing my airlock to not bubble.

I had an issue with one of my plastic Big Mouth Bubblers not sealing well. To remedy this, I took one of those styrofoam chinette plates and used the white circular part of the lid as a template and made a gasket that fit between it and the threaded blue ring. Problem solved. Cheers! :tank:

Back