Airlock Activity during fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexchaskell

Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first post. My roommate and I just started out first batch of Amber Ale. We have it in the primary fermentor and have sealed it with airlock on top. I read that the airlock should have quite a bit of activity in the beginning of the fermenting process. I realize that fermentation doesnt start immediately, but it has been 24 hours since we put our batch in the bucket fermentor and pitched the yeast. What "activity" should I expect to see my airlock making, and what happens if I don't see any "activity" in 3 or 4 days? Any help you be appreciated. Thank you!

Airlock activity doesn't mean anything... it is possible to go an entire fermentation without seeing a single bubble. This is usually due to co2 escaping from somewhere (Loose lid, bung, air lock). The only reason an airlock bubbles is because co2 is being released, but it is not a sign (or lack there of) of fermentation. If you still don't see any "activity" after a few days take a hydrometer sample and compare it to your OG. That is the only way to be certain that fermentation has/is taking place.

airlock activity does not mean fermentation is occuring. "foam" or krausen is fermentation.

You could also peak through the the airlock hole and see if you see Krausen floating on the top or see a ring of crust on the sides of the bucket. That's a sure sign that magic is happening.

Thanks for all the help guys, checked through the airlock hole and there is definitely some foam starting up!

What temp are you fermenting at? What was your OG and what type/how much yeast did you pitch? IF you are sure that your lid is on tight and you have a decent seal around the airlock you'll see some bubbles...or there is a chance that the vigorous fermentation happened too fast for you to catch.

Grats on the first brew.....the worst thing that could happen is you screw up and make beer! Scary thought I know...RDWHAHB...or at least a micro brew till you get a home brew!

My first thought was OMG, Revvy will be here soon to start pasting soon. :D

Now to the OP... As mentioned it is easy to have a leak and not get any bubbles in the airlock. This does not mean that anything is wrong. Fermenters do not have to be air tight to make delicious beer.

Welcome to HBT!

It took about 36 hours for mine to start. I was worried at first, but when I woke up the next day, I thought the thing was going to blow off the top of the bucket (well, not really, but it was pretty spectacular)

I heard it can take even longer, depending on the freshness of the yeast.

HAHAHA be nice he's from Seattle.

thats all i meant------>

My first thought was OMG, Revvy will be here soon to start pasting soon. :D

this forum is more like an encyclopaedia, so make sure you do a search 'cause there is a pretty good chance your question was already answered. might save you some time (and maybe some gentle, or sometimes not so gentle, fun poking).

either way, i didnt mean to come across as an ass-hat.
welcome to hbt... and to the obsession.

It took about 36 hours for mine to start. I was worried at first, but when I woke up the next day, I thought the thing was going to blow off the top of the bucket (well, not really, but it was pretty spectacular)

I heard it can take even longer, depending on the freshness of the yeast.

yep, up to 72 hrs. only way to know is w/ hydrometer reading. when you suspect a problem,the hydrometer is like a stethoscope for your beer.

Back