air lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all any help anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated. MY beer was brewed 6 days ago and no co2 coming through the airlock when will i know its done. Andwhat is the best way to not contaminate the beer and take readings. Thanks Donny

The way to know for sure is to take a gravity reading.

What kind or beer are you making? What type of yeast? How much malt? What temps is it fermenting at? What type of fermentater are you using, glass carboy or bucket?

If it’s just a standard ale you’re probably about done. If you don’t have a hydrometer, you can more than likely just leave it for two weeks and package.

It is not unusual for a typical ale to ferment in 3 or 4 days (it still needs another 6 or 8 days for the yeast to clean up though).

I recently started using fermenters with spigots, and they make it easier to take readings. There are several "thief" devices sold for taking a sample that work well. A new/clean/sanitary baster can also be used. For a while I used my auto-siphon to take samples for gravity readings.

Hello all any help anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated. MY beer was brewed 6 days ago and no co2 coming through the airlock when will i know its done. Andwhat is the best way to not contaminate the beer and take readings. Thanks Donny
6 days isnt enough , at least imo . I let mine ride 2 weeks before I check gravity to be sure its done. Had one batch go 17 days but that was a yeast re-pitching issue .
Regardless, check your fermenting vessel lid for leaks if you didnt see any bubbling action in your airlock. Those things will lie to you. buy a hydrometer and test jar ,learn how to calibrate and use it.
providing you thoroughly cleaned all of your equipment,a quick spray of star san on whatever you use to touch a wort or fermenting beer. do NOT wipe it off.
good luck

Are you using a bucket or carboy? Make sure your system is air tight - stoppers in tight, bucket lid on correctly, etc. As others above suggested, grav readings are the ultimate indicator but the system should still be air tight when it gets going. 6 days is a bit excessive, if in fact fermentation hasn't started yet.

Back