Air Lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingjam

Reaction score
What is the average lenghth you see activity in the air lock. I had about a 24 hr. lag time and then about 3 days of activity now its just about stoped. Is this normal. Thanks

24 hour lag time is not unusual. Sometimes beers also ferment out after 72 hours.
This all depends on yeast, type of brew, temps, type of bucket/carboy etc.
The normal guideline for beer (average ale) is 7 days in the primary. 14 in the secondary and 3 weeks in the bottle. Did u take any hydrometer readings?

Cheers.

Well my main question was how long do you normaly see activity in the air lock. I just saw 3 days

Does it have any affect on the beer between 3 active days vs. a week of active days.

No real average with that type of stuff.

I brewed two beers on the weekend. One, the airlick is still goin nuts. The other... it stopped after about a day and a half. Not worried about it... gonnaleave it sit for about a week then rack to secondary.

So yeah.... RDWHABD. Leave it about a week... and use your hygrometer :cross: to judge when its done fermenting, dont go by airlock activity....

Where should your hydrometer readings be to judge when the beer is done fermenting? I guess it's based on style but where do you find that info?

CollinsBrew said:
Where should your hydrometer readings be to judge when the beer is done fermenting? I guess it's based on style but where do you find that info?

There is no magic SG where a finished beer should be. What you have to do is check it 2 or 3 days in a row and if it hasn't dropped your beer is finished fermenting. If you're using a secondary this isn't a big deal because if it isn't finished it will finish in the secondary even though its supposed to only be a clearing tank. If you're not using a secondary it is important to make certain the beer is finished b4 you bottle or else you might have bottle bombs.

Great! I brewed on Saturday and fermentation really started yesterday afternoon around two so I should be ok for a couple of days. I may check it tonight when I get home. I was terribly relieved since this was my first brew and I jumped right in with AG!

I probably wouldn't bother checking the gravity until after about a week in primary.

Some beers might be done in two days, but most probably aren't, even if the bulk of fermentation is done in that time.

Even if it seems done I still would leave it in primary for at least one week. If you're really uncertain about whether it is actively fermenting or not maybe check it on the 5th day and then the 7th. If using a secondary I wouldn't bother to check it at all until bottling time and that is more or less just to check the ABV and see if the yeast performed as well as it was supposed to.

Back