air lock water into fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wreckinball9

Reaction score
I think i may have just wasted a 5 gallon batch of Apfelwein/cider. after letting it sit in the primary at room temp for 5 weeks, i moved it to the fridge to cold crash and help clearing. i left the blowoff attached to the carboy.

apparently because the cold made the volume of the cider decrease, it actually sucked some of the water up from the other end of the blowoff tube. i think i put a solution of C-brite or something in the bottle, but i cant remember. it may have just been water.

so i have two questions:

-what are the chances i ruined the cider if i got 10oz or so of sanitizer solution in it?
-what are the chances it will be infected (there were dead fruit flies in the water etc) , although the apflewein should be around 8%, will it fight off infection?
- are you just supposed to put a full cover on the carboy when you cold crash instead of leaving a airlock/blowoff tube on?

thanks for any response, i feel like i just wasted $25 and 5 weeks

Once my beer sucked water from airlock. Nothing wrong happened, but since then on, I use vodka (to airlocks, I mean).

i should have titled this thread differently. a little bit of water from an airlock wouldnt have bothered me, but this was like half a powerade bottle of water from the other end of my blowoff.

after i posted last night i racked to a keg with 5 campden tabs and 1.5 tsp of potassium sorbate, which i was planning on using anyway to stop the yeast so i can backsweeten. i wonder if that will help fight off infection too...?

so you want to hear the worst part? after i racked to the keg i dumped out the yeast and whatnot from the bottom of the carboy, and sure enough there were at least a couple of flies in it, one of which was large. i doubt any made it to the keg, but still....

STILL think it'll be fine?

I had the same thing happen to me but it was about a 1/2 gallon of StarSan it sucked into my Dark Strong Ale, I was so pissed off.

so you want to hear the worst part? after i racked to the keg i dumped out the yeast and whatnot from the bottom of the carboy, and sure enough there were at least a couple of flies in it, one of which was large. i doubt any made it to the keg, but still....

STILL think it'll be fine?

Added flavor, call it Apfelweinfleisen

-bn

Latest posts

Back