Air Leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phishermen1981

Reaction score
my amber ale is actively fermenting but i just noticed a small leak of air and bubbles coming out from under the air lock. is this something i should correct or is minor? the fermenting is going fine as far as foam and all and run off through the tube. but wasn't sure if this small leak would contaminate it.

Escaping CO2 is not the problem, it's only intaking of contaminated air that causes grief.

My guess is that you are using a bucket with a small hole in the lid, and a grommet in the hole? My bucket has a 1" or bigger hole, and uses a rubber plug (bung) with a hole through it. In case of leaks, I can push the bung in harder. I use a wood drill called a Forstner Bit to drill lid holes. Best would be to use a big punch at a metal shop- trade some hombrew for labor?

It should be OK. Air is escaping outward, not coming in. I would wait till activity settles down bit and replace with a fresh one. I'm guessing you're using a bucket to ferment. You can replace the round seal in the lid next time if you think it's a problem.

im using a glass carboy and when i sealed the orange top, a little burp formed, that is where the air is leaking out. i don't think any is coming in, but im guessing a little.

Oh gotcha. I have one of the orange things too, and it doesn't really seem to seal too well. But even so, air is pushing outwards so you'll be fine. I use one of these when I set up a blow off, then replace with a stopper and airlock after it settles down.
If that's all you got then take it off, clean and sanitize and put it back on. That should fix the leak for the remainder of the fermentation.

im using a glass carboy and when i sealed the orange top, a little burp formed, that is where the air is leaking out. i don't think any is coming in, but im guessing a little.

No, there isn't any getting in at all. When the yeast consumes the sugar it converts it to alcohol and CO2. The constant outgassing is putting positive pressure inside so no worries!

Back