Air Duster Wort Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlingy

Reaction score
Hi all,
First post here. I've used the forum to answer many of my questions, but this one I can't find an answer to. I am wondering if I could use an air duster to aerate wort. I am imagining a modified tube to get it down into the carboy. Would there be sanitation issues? Is it even oxygen / air in those things?
Thanks!

I would not use air duster cans for this purpose. The cans contain compressed air, not oxygen. Also, the companies that produce these products use bittering agents in then to stop the idiots who like to inhale them. Id suggest getting a O2 tank if your seriously considering adding oxygen to your chilled wort! Good luck and happy brewing!

+1 on No
Wiki flourocarbon or "canned air"

Since gas dusters are one of the many inhalants that can be easily abused many manufacturers have added a bittering agent to deter people from inhaling the product. Because of the generic name "canned air", some people mistakenly believe that the can only contains normal air or contains a less harmful substance such as nitrous oxide. However, the gases actually used are denser than air, and inhaling can lead to paralysis, serious injury, or death. Recently, in the United States and Canada stores have begun to ask for ID to verify that the customer is 18 years or older (some include Fred Meyer, Office Max, Office Depot, Best Buy, Staples, RadioShack, Walgreens, Canadian Tire, Shopko, Target, Maplin Electronics, CVS, and Wal-Mart)[citation needed].

Back