air buble in auto-siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardrain

Reaction score
I've been getting an air bubble in my auto siphon right where the pump meets the tube. am i doing something wrong that is causing this?

kind of related, I also have a tube that thinks its cool to float on top of the beer instead of staying below the surface...any suggestions on keeping that down? has anyone added weight to the end?

It's a good idea to use 5/16" ID tubing on a 3/8" autosiphon cane. You warm it up in hot water and slip it on. The tighter fit stops air from being sucked in. I struggled with the same thing when I started with 3/8" ID tubing and a clamp never helped.

Apologies if this is idiotic/obvious, but are you keeping the source for the siphon well above the destination? I had a similar problem (bubbles) the first time I used my auto-siphon, as I was a.) using the wrong tube, and b.) not raising the source significantly above the destination (I think I sat it on a phone book).

In all subsequent uses, I have placed my primary/secondary on a chair, with the seconday/bottling bucket on the floor. Works like a charm (and goes significantly faster).

is tubing from the hardware store 'food grade'? my LHS only has one type of tube.

hardrain said:
is tubing from the hardware store 'food grade'? my LHS only has one type of tube.
Not to my knowledge, no. I've never had a problem w/ 3/8" tubing from the HBS, though. But I found that this helps a lot: slide it onto the racking cane portion at least an inch. Once the siphon starts, pinch the hose for a second just past the racking cane, then let it go. That eliminates any bubbles. If the tubing is worn, just replace it.

Back