Ahtanum Nelson Red (an "American Red Ale")

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
Someone recently said something the effect that people who use lots of hops must not like the taste of beer...... Frankly I love hops, and regard the beer as nothing more than a "hops delivery vehicle"....... I'm not going to suck hops, smoke hops, huff hops, or mainline hops. Beer is by far the best known vehicle to enjoy hops. I'm not into ultra high IBUs, but rather the complexities of hop flavors.

This is an ale that has been growing on me to the extent that I may duplicte it. I rarely brew the exact same thing twice. It has an excellent bitterness level (45 IBUs) for this OG 1.068 (measured) is perfect for my taste buds, not yet fried by excessive IPA consumption.

Nelson Sauvin is one of my favorite hops........ about neck and neck with Mosaic for the number one position. I've found Nelson pairs well with fruity hops unless they are overpoweringly citrus. Ahtanum is an interesting blend of citrus, pine. and floral flavors and aromas, and would probably not pair well with Nelson. Nelson gets along with the stone fruit flavors extremely well. Ahtanum and Willamette are made for each other.

In this beer I sought to harness the Ahtanum "magic", and broaden the mix, harnessing the fruit profile of Summit, normally used only for bittering, and match the blend with Nelson Sauvin, keeping it's presence a bit subdued. I bittered with Magnum. All other hops were added at 3 minutes before the end of the boil.

The grain bill really isn't of much concern....... The hops are where it's at.

3 gallon brew

OG 1.068
IBU 45.37
SRM 14.67
FG (didn't measure it)

Process BIAB, mashed at 152 for 60 min (fine crush)

2 pounds 2 row
2 pounds Munich 20
4 ounces CR 150
1 pound of cane sugar
half a pound of flaked barley.

(sugar added to bump the gravity up without making a heavy beer)

.5 oz Magnum @45 min
1 oz Ahtanum @ 3 min
.5 oz Summit @ 3 min
1 oz Nelson Sauvin @ 3 min
.5 oz Willamette @ 3 min

At over 1 oz per gallon, this qualifies as a "hop burst". Note that virtually everything is added near the end of the boil.

This is NOT intended to be an actual recipe.......... I don't believe in "recipes". It's a combo that works extremely well....... Something to build from. It's a crisp light bodied easy drinking ale with complex flavors and aroma, and a kick your ass ABV approaching 7%. An ale everybody seems to like.......... Note that the Summit could be something like Motueka.......I just chose what I had on hand that would give the flavor profile I wanted. I might increase the Willamette........ I used what I had. Hallertau would serve also...... I brew with what have, and that for me is the joy of brewing. The LHBS is 80 miles away.

H.W.

I use Ahtanum, Amarillo, and Nelson together in a pale that I have done a few times. People seem to like it, even got a best in show at our county fair a couple years ago.

I use Ahtanum, Amarillo, and Nelson together in a pale that I have done a few times. People seem to like it, even got a best in show at our county fair a couple years ago.

Nelson Sauvin used judiciously in the proper combinations makes for a very distinctive flavor. I recently used it in a hibiscus wedding beer. The wine type flavor Nelson contributes worked wonderfully with the hibiscus giving the effect somewhat reminicent of a dry red wine. To me it clashes with the strongly citrus hops unless its moderated by some other hops that broaden the fruit base. Nelson loves fruit..... fruit is it's natural element.

Another place where Nelson stood out extremely well was in a stout. It's not exactly what you expect to work in a stout, but it works very well in that environment.

H.W.

Today I'm brewing an Nelson, Amarillo, Ahtanum ale with some Challenger thrown in for it's spicy character. A 2.5 gallon brew with 5 pounds of 2 row, a quarter pound CR150 and a quarter pound of flaked barley, and half a pound of cane sugar. 1/4 ounce Nelson @ 60, and half an ounce of each including Nelson, @ 5. It should yield an interesting ale. Brewer's Friend shows an IBU of about 47, SRM 11, and an ABV of 7.4%.............. Your suggestion of combining both Amarillo and Ahtanum with Nelson inspired me.

Latest posts

Back