AHS Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WYOBrews

Reaction score
Has anyone made the AHS Pumpkin Ale? I'm just looking for some pointers and recomendations for the recipe from those who have tried it. I'm doing the extract version. Thanks in advance!

I did it last year. I spread 3 cans of pumpkin on a cookie sheet and baked it for 20 min, let it cool and put it in the bag with steeping grains. I ordered an extra spice packet and added it per the directions. Turned out great!

I just brewed this up on 7/28. I took a gravity reading about a week ago and gave it a taste, the spices were not quite where I wanted them. I added the supplied spice packet plus a 1/4 tsp of McCormick's Pumpkin Pie Spice. I would heed seven's advice and add another packet.

As for me, I added 8 oz. of lactose and maltodextrin just to give it more of a creamy mouthfeel. I'll also be adding another teaspoon of spice at bottling.

I'm looking to find out which base grains they use in the mini mash version so I'm calling AHS tomorrow afternoon. I'm not sure what to do about the pie myself since I thought most canned varieties were puree. Either way, we will find out soon enough how it turns out.

I'll be buying my kit for some Halloween/Thanksgiving preparation.

I brewed this last winter. I added two 26oz cans of Libby's Spiced Pumpkin to the steeping grains, along with the AHS pumpkin spice pack to the boil. The AHS directions state to NOT add spiced pumpkin, but I suppose that is just because they already supply the spice pack.

Anyway, that was really the first REALLY good beer I made. If you want your Pumpkin Ale to taste like liquid pumpkin pie, follow the AHS directions, but add two 26 oz cans of Libby's Spiced Pumpkin to the steeping grains.

Back