AHS Imperial Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firstnten

Reaction score
I brewing a 5 gallon batch today. Anyone try it? results? opinions? Comments? It's a high gravity brew can't wait to taste is come the end of September.

Using White labs yeast WLP820:drunk:

Imperial Oktoberfest? Who dreams these names up, some forgotten government bureaucrat? End of mini rant and good luck with your bock beer. ;)

Imperial Oktoberfest? Who dreams these names up, some forgotten government bureaucrat? End of mini rant and good luck with your bock beer. ;)

would you consider a regular oktoberfest a bock beer? As per AHS recipes,

regular oktoberfest:

Fermentable Sugars:

Mini-Mash - Liquid: 6 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 2.5 lb Base Grains, 1 lb Specialty Grains.

Imperial:

Fermentable Sugars:

Mini-Mash - Liquid: 9 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 2 lb Base Grains, 1.5 lb Specialty Grains.

Going by the Wikipedia definition they are both bock. The imperial as far as AHS is concerned has as you can see 3 lb's more LME. Dunno why they call it "imperial" i'm wondering about the burn if it's overpowering. My favorite beer is an Oktoberfest/Marzen I'm wondering how this stuff tastes in comparison to regular. I'm gonna make a regular sometime in June to make sure i don't miss out on this beer around Halloween time. :tank:

would you consider a regular oktoberfest a bock beer? As per AHS recipes,

regular oktoberfest:

Fermentable Sugars:

Mini-Mash - Liquid: 6 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 2.5 lb Base Grains, 1 lb Specialty Grains.

Imperial:

Fermentable Sugars:

Mini-Mash - Liquid: 9 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 2 lb Base Grains, 1.5 lb Specialty Grains.

Going by the Wikipedia definition they are both bock. The imperial as far as AHS is concerned has as you can see 3 lb's more LME. Dunno why they call it "imperial" i'm wondering about the burn if it's overpowering. My favorite beer is an Oktoberfest/Marzen I'm wondering how this stuff tastes in comparison to regular. I'm gonna make a regular sometime in June to make sure i don't miss out on this beer around Halloween time. :tank:

I'm just going off on the "Imperial" thing. It seems every new beer is now an "Imperial". :rolleyes: Hey, they can call it anything they like but a regular Oktoberfest is not a bock beer. Beyond Oktoberfests are plain old bocks, Maibock, and Dopplebock ranging in the 7-11% ABV range. Anyways, enjoy your brew. :mug:

I'm just going off on the "Imperial" thing. It seems every new beer is now an "Imperial". :rolleyes: Hey, they can call it anything they like but a regular Oktoberfest is not a bock beer. Beyond Oktoberfests are plain old bocks, Maibock, and Dopplebock ranging in the 7-11% ABV range. Anyways, enjoy your brew. :mug:

Thx

Id like to get this going and fermenting, how has it been doing so far? If I brew this now or in the next couple weeks will I be able to drink it by late sept early oktober? Thanks!

Craig

Technically your "oktober" you speak of is in September. So...no you couldn't drink it in early oktober. Maybe October, sure.

Technically your "oktober" you speak of is in September. So...no you couldn't drink it in early oktober. Maybe October, sure.

Well if you want to be technical and rude. Oktober is just German for October, and Oktoberfest goes into early October at least it did when I was in Munich...

Imperial comes from the fact that the British Empire would supply their army with high gravity beers during wartime. The higher gravity made the beer keep longer. Catherine the Great got a taste of British Imperial Stout and spread the style throughout Russia, hense Russian Imperial Stout.

This is basically the same way IPA was created. When the British occupied India, they needed a beer that would stay fresh following the long journey to India. They found out that hops serves as a preservative, so more hops = longer freshnesss = super hoppy IPAs for British soldiers occupying India.

Well if you want to be technical and rude. Oktober is just German for October, and Oktoberfest goes into early October at least it did when I was in Munich...

Traditionally it was held in October. It was changed for today's modern day pansies who thought it was too cold to drink beer outside in October.

Back