Ahh! Too much DME..help..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rifraf

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I did my math wrong and threw in probably .5 to .75 lbs more DME than I meant to. Total extract is 6 lbs Amber LME and 1 lb golden light DME. Topped off to 5 g and my OG is around 1.070. Definitely didn't do a started, just rehydrated a pack of dry.

This particular recipe used a bunch of Graham crackers/spices...could those kick up the OG? I'm worried about yeast health/attenuation. I could run down and top off with more water but I'm afraid to just start doing random things and mess it up further.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!!!

I'll add that the kit said 1.050 and then I added 1lb DME to more closely mimic the ingredients in the recipe I was copying. This was the thickest wort I've ever brewed, so I guess it's possible my top off water didn't mix thoroughly...but I haven't had that problem before.

you're on the high side for dry yeast, so you might want to go get an Activator pouch. Just watch the bubbles for the next 48 and if fermentation doesn't take off then add more. Same applies to watching the OG at the end of fermentation. Plan on a few extra weeks in fermentation.

don't worry about it. i've used 1 pack of dry for that og many times, no problem. let the yeasties do their thing.

Thanks guys. I woke up this morning to a good bit of bubbling so I'm going to let it ride for now...

helibrewer said:
7# in 5 gallons is 1.050 (7 X 36 / 5) so I think you are just fine.

Ok, like I said it was super thick so maybe it didn't top off well.

Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back