AHA Membership. Why/Why Not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I voted for Yooper, but never saw the results. I assumed she won....If not what the heck? HBT needs to get the vote out.

Thank you, but no. I did not win last year. Another HBT friend did, though- mabrungard (who I voted for also!). I said I'd give it one more go, and the election will be coming up later this month. If you want to tell you CA homebrewers, that would be great. Last year, it was the highest voter turnout ever- but it still was less than 20% if I remember correctly.

I am a member in good standing. I am amused by the number of posters who claimed to let their memberships lapse because they did not see any real value, and then they list 5 or 6 benefits of being a member???:drunk:

The magazine Zymurgy is great, filled with relevant and current information. Access to the online archives of articles and information is also good. Access to the annual conference and competitions is a fabulous experience, I cannot wait to get to San Diego in June! :ban: Local AHA rallies are excellent networking opportunities and then there's the discounts and coupons at breweries, restaurants, etc.

Some folks are dabblers and get all the excitement they need in small circles. If your interest broadens, and you want to go deeper into the brewing community, there's an organization that will launch you in the right direction. :mug:

The only why not I can think of is if you really couldn't afford $40 a year...**** I saved $10 just last friday at my local brewery on pints.

This is it for me.

For people seriously pinching pennies every month, you probably have more important things to do with your money.

For everyone else, it's really a no-brainer. They really are legislatively active looking out for us, and the magazine is good. Maybe you'll never enter the NHC our go to a conference, and maybe you don't live somewhere that you get discounts. But having an organization protecting and expanding homebrewer rights is priceless.

I am a member in good standing. I am amused by the number of posters who claimed to let their memberships lapse because they did not see any real value, and then they list 5 or 6 benefits of being a member???:drunk:

The magazine Zymurgy is great, filled with relevant and current information. Access to the online archives of articles and information is also good. Access to the annual conference and competitions is a fabulous experience, I cannot wait to get to San Diego in June! :ban: Local AHA rallies are excellent networking opportunities and then there's the discounts and coupons at breweries, restaurants, etc.

Some folks are dabblers and get all the excitement they need in small circles. If your interest broadens, and you want to go deeper into the brewing community, there's an organization that will launch you in the right direction. :mug:

Not everyone lives in an area where there any real discounts or benefits. For example, Raleigh, has one member discount listed on their website (10% bar ware at a local tap room). If I recall correctly there are only 11 or 12 total listed in North Carolina and a quarter of those are either in Charlotte or Asheville. Given the number of craft breweries and LHBS in the state it's pretty pathetic.

Not everyone lives in an area where there will be AHA rallies. There's only been one or two within a 2 - 3 hour drive since I've been a member.

Not everyone is able to go to NHC - it sounds like a cool but expensive experience once you lump in travel, lodging, etc. I'd love to go to one eventually.

For me, I get entry to the NHC competition and Zymurgy. I'm fine with the AHA being our lobbying group, but it's hard for me to come up with a LOT of reasons for someone to drop money on a AHA membership. It generally comes down to individual preferences. Honestly, if it came to choosing between HBT membership vs AHA membership I'd go with HBT since I've learned everything about brewing through HBT.

I like it because i get 20% at the dfh ale house. If i take the wife out, and we get an app, 2 beers and each a dinner, then the apps turns out to be free.

The mag always has at least 1 recipe i dig too. Plus you're supporting a good cause!

@MrNatural Can you post the link?
Nothing yet for this year. I'm sure it will be forthcoming. They'll have a page of candidates with pic, bio, and platform posted a couple of weeks before election.

I "think" you get to vote for six, IIRC.

Still trying to figure out a way to vote for Yooper multiple times:D
Or maybe just get more people to vote for her once:mug:

There are 10 (I think) candidates this year, running for 3 seats, so you will probably get to vote for 3 but that hasn't been announced yet.

Once voting is open, I'll definitely make sure that there is a link to the page!

All AHA members should vote, even if it's not for me- because the AHA Governing Committee represents all of us.

I don't think anyone mentioned this, but it also allows you early ticket purchase for GABF and access to the members only session. I live in Denver, so that is the #1 reason I have it, but this thread does outline the other perks.

Sounds like you shouldn't join, it's not for everyone.

Not everyone lives in an area where there any real discounts or benefits. For example, Raleigh, has one member discount listed on their website (10% bar ware at a local tap room). If I recall correctly there are only 11 or 12 total listed in North Carolina and a quarter of those are either in Charlotte or Asheville. Given the number of craft breweries and LHBS in the state it's pretty pathetic.

Not everyone lives in an area where there will be AHA rallies. There's only been one or two within a 2 - 3 hour drive since I've been a member.

Not everyone is able to go to NHC - it sounds like a cool but expensive experience once you lump in travel, lodging, etc. I'd love to go to one eventually.

For me, I get entry to the NHC competition and Zymurgy. I'm fine with the AHA being our lobbying group, but it's hard for me to come up with a LOT of reasons for someone to drop money on a AHA membership. It generally comes down to individual preferences. Honestly, if it came to choosing between HBT membership vs AHA membership I'd go with HBT since I've learned everything about brewing through HBT.

I don't think anyone mentioned this, but it also allows you early ticket purchase for GABF and access to the members only session. I live in Denver, so that is the #1 reason I have it, but this thread does outline the other perks.

Is it difficult to acquire tickets for the GABF? I've never been so I have no frame of reference if this would be a "benefit" or not.

Is it difficult to acquire tickets for the GABF? I've never been so I have no frame of reference if this would be a "benefit" or not.

They sell out very quickly, even for members. Membership improves the odds, since you can try to buy at the member's ticket release and at the regular release. That said, I haven't done it, but I believe you can walk up to the convention center shortly after a session starts and buy tickets at a reasonable price from a scalper that wasn't able to unload them.

... limit to 15 gallons per year for homebrewing!

You almost remembered correctly, and fortunately the situation is not quite that bleak. Its 15 gallons per 3 month period, so 60 gallons a year. For a single person, probably ok, but people are going to need to band together and share to make it work for groups. Perhaps obviously, dry counties do not have to abide by this and home-brewing is still banned in those places.

Sauce: http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/05/gov_robert_bentley_signs_home.html

By the way, I joined HBT just to post this. Hello everyone!

Last edited:
10 Print "Hello world. Now a proud member of the AHA."
20 GoTo 10

Run

Hello world. Now a proud member of the AHA.

The AHA is a division of the BA. I don't know if the dues crossover.

You know I was looking at the BA website and ran some rough numbers. It would appear membership in the BA is around 6700 and membership in the AHA is around 43000. AHA membership is 43 dollars a year and BA membership varies based on brewery size and type of membership. If use an average cost of 300 dollars per BA membership you end up with a little more than 2 million dollars( it is probably a little more than that). AHA membership brings in around 1.8 million dollars ( it is probably a little bit lower). What was a bit of an eye opener for me was how much more staff the commercial side of the BA had compared to the AHA side. As a members of the AHA I think we need to do our due diligence in making sure OUR MONEY is being spent in a appropriate manner. I love being a member of the AHA for a variety of reasons......just want to make sure it is directly benefiting us.

While some of our interests/concerns differ, I am glad for the relationship and in fact this relationship is, to me, one of the greater benefits of being an AHA member. I'm all about competitions and here in CA and I think across the country, craft brewers support homebrewers in many ways. Including: competitions, meeting places for homebrew clubs, AHA rallies, many brewers volunteer as judges (great feedback from these folks), GABF Pro Am competition, and more. Considering all the craft beer industry does to support homebrewers, I am willing to give to their cause.

You know I was looking at the BA website and ran some rough numbers. It would appear membership in the BA is around 6700 and membership in the AHA is around 43000. AHA membership is 43 dollars a year and BA membership varies based on brewery size and type of membership. If use an average cost of 300 dollars per BA membership you end up with a little more than 2 million dollars( it is probably a little more than that). AHA membership brings in around 1.8 million dollars ( it is probably a little bit lower). What was a bit of an eye opener for me was how much more staff the commercial side of the BA had compared to the AHA side. As a members of the AHA I think we need to do our due diligence in making sure OUR MONEY is being spent in a appropriate manner. I love being a member of the AHA for a variety of reasons......just want to make sure it is directly benefiting us.

Thanks for pointing out the information above. As a AHA Governing Committee member, it's part of my job to help our members and prospective members. I posed the original question to AHA Director, Gary Glass and he responds below.

"In 2013, based on the numbers I reported in the members meeting at that AHA Conference, AHA revenue made up just under 15% of total revenue for the Brewers Association and our net surplus was 8% of the total net surplus for the Brewers Association. The BA professional division contributes far more to the Brewers Association’s bottom line than the AHA does. Being a part of the larger organization is very much a mutually beneficial situation. The AHA has access to far more resources than we would have if we were a stand-alone organization, which enables us to better serve the AHA membership."

As a member, I find that AHA does benefit from its direct association with BA. We have cozy relationships with many breweries across the country and those breweries provide direct support and benefits to AHA members. In almost every case, those brewers started the way that you and I started...at home brewing our first batch of beer and getting hooked on brewing. Having the clout of a BIG brewing family through BA is valuable to me.

Another benefit that was just created is that BA now has a lobbyist in DC. While we homebrewers haven't had to worry about the Feds trampling our rights, it's nice to know that we will have a voice there if something comes up. Remember, BA members support homebrewers since we are integral to their continued success.

Thanks for the discussion, folks. I was asking myself the same question as OP.

I mean, I threw $25 at Homebrew Talk and you guys don't do anything for me. :D But seriously, I've become *much* better at this brewing thing on account of this site and community, and I'd like to see it thrive and grow. Sounds like, philosophically, an AHA membership is right in my wheelhouse.

Financially, it might be a tougher sell, but I suspect it'll pay for itself over the course of a year, between the LHBS discount and a couple of the brewpubs.

If the AHA was concerned about the members, they would respond to serious questioned posed of them.

Regardless of why this came back to the top of the new posts. I'm glad it did.

Is the AHA still relevant? Does a membership provide a tangible benefit these days? Personally, my local shop discontinued it's affiliation with the AHA, so there is no discount any longer. So, being the devil's advocate, what can the AHA do for me?

If the AHA was concerned about the members, they would respond to serious questioned posed of them.
Sounds like there must be a story behind this comment.

I joined for a few years in a row back in the mid 90s but eventually got tired of Zymurgy which was basically the only AHA benefit at the time. I was also subscribing to the now defunct Brewing Techniques which I thought was a better value.

About 7 years ago I paid for two straight years when Alabama finally legalized homebrewing and again the only practical benefit was Zymurgy which ended up being over $6 per issue. There were no LHBCs or breweries which offered AHA discounts.

The one time I used the discount was in another city and I think I got a free pint glass which I could have bought for $5. Truth be told I ended up getting a tour of that brewery by the owner and I think he would have just given me the glass if I hadn't already paid for it.

Last year I again joined because a new area homebrew club was formed by a friend and he wanted it to be registered with the AHA to get insurance. The AHA requires 75% of the registered club to be AHA members in order to have the insurance cost reimbursed.

It turned out that very few other club participants joined AHA so the club never registered and the benefit I was trying to convey to the club with my membership went for almost nothing since again Zymurgy isn't worth the >$6 cost to me. So for the fourth period in my life I'm a non-AHA member.

Last edited:
Regardless of why this came back to the top of the new posts. I'm glad it did.

Is the AHA still relevant? Does a membership provide a tangible benefit these days? Personally, my local shop discontinued it's affiliation with the AHA, so there is no discount any longer. So, being the devil's advocate, what can the AHA do for me?

I let my membership lapse after about 8 years due to them wanting an extra $5 for Zymurgy in print version. That aggravated me since that was all I was getting for my membership at the time.

Now what can the AHA do for you! You can get a free tasting tour at Troegs, 30% off growler fills at CKW, 20% off food and drink at Iron Hill, $2 off growler fills at St Boniface, and a 10% discount on ingredients and equipment at Roots beer distributor. Looking at their website it does seem that they have added a lot more deals than they had in the past. Maybe one day I will reconsider.

I let my membership lapse. I semi enjoyed Zymurgy, but since I live in BF Egypt, there is no HBS to get a discount, the Brew Guru app has no one close to me and I get better info here.

I semi enjoyed Zymurgy, but since I live in BF Egypt, there is no HBS to get a discount, the Brew Guru app has no one close to me and I get better info here.
This. I wish they had a discounted option for Non-Americans to purchase Zymergy magazine. There's no store discounts or lobbying benefits or competitions for people living outside of the US, yet it cost $10 more (plus exchange costs) to get the magazine sent. Nine dollars (U.S.) a copy for the magazine -- it better be increadible.

I joined a few months ago. There are not a lot of deals near me, but in Baltimore there are a ton of bars/restaurants that have deals. My LHBS doesn't have a discount either. I do like readying zymurgy and being able to go to Homebrewcon. Plus always good having an org go to bat for you if a state tries to hurt homebrewers with garbage laws.

I find that the member-only content is worth more than the cost of membership: presentations from the annual HomeBrew Con; National Homebrew Competition
winning recipes (gold, silver, and bronze); back issues (unedited) from Zymurgy, ...

Same for me. They are one of the best resources out there for decent recipes and ideas and some of the Homebrew Con seminars are great. The magazine is so-so, but sometimes there are some really good articles. I also appreciate what they do to support homebrewing and legislation. On top of that, the last two years I have gotten a book each year I renewed ("Brewing Classic Styles" and "Session Beers"). Definitely worth the $38 in my book.

Back