AHA 2005 Nat'l Homebrew Competition Winners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ORRELSE and I were stewards for the second round of judging. He had "fruit and vegetable" beers, and I had smoked beers. Tried a bunch of them. Interestng time.

Sam75 said:
Interestng time.

Is "interesting" a code word for SUCKED? ;)

I had a judge that kind of spoiled it for me. It was the first time I ever did it and this judge was being a dick. The whole time I was getting bossed around by this guy that thought it was the finals for something WAY more important than a homebrew competition, but that's just me. :confused:
I got to try a few of the beers.
It also made me realize that judging competitions are highly subjective. ;)

ORRELSE said:
Is "interesting" a code word for SUCKED? ;)

I had a judge that kind of spoiled it for me. It was the first time I ever did it and this judge was being a dick. ...

See, I always thought it might be cool to be a beer judge, going through the certification and all. OTOH, I also thought to myself that I might encounter other judges that turn out to be a group of asses. It's a hobby; shouldn't it be fun?

Sorry your experience was sour! :(

Neither one of us is going for a certification....we just thought it might be a good learning experience. Had it been a really good experience, I might have been tempted to persue a certification. Now...not so much.

It amounted to a few guys arguing (some for a long time) on behalf of their pet beer. No one person was overly friendly, or tried to teach us anything. Me and the other steward at my table listened to their comments, and tried the beers afterwards and compared our perceptions to what they noted. That was about all I got out of it.

Oh....the next night, a guy had his glass sitting in the middle of the sidewalk in front of the hotel. He was BSing with some other guys. I went walking through there in a hurry and didn't see it. I kicked his glass about 20 feet down the sidewalk, and it shattered to pieces against a wall. He couldn't say much....how dumb do you have to be to sit your glass in the middle of a sidewalk in front of a busy hotel during a beer conference? This guy happened to be a judge at my table the day before. :D

Well, perhaps I overstated it a bit. He wasn't a huge jerk....he wasn't overly friendly, either. I'm going to edit that so as not to totally misrepresent the guy.

He was none too happy when I trashed his glass, though. :D

Latest posts

Back