Agitating Wheat Beer in Fermenter Before Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eoghanie

Reaction score
Hi all.

New to brewing. Just bottled my second batch. It was a wheat beer based around a Coopers Wheat kit using wlp300. I was a bit disappointed at how clear the beer looked going into the bottles. From my experience of bottled commercial wheat beers I had expected a cloudier look. My question is whether anyone has any experience with agitating the FV just prior to bottling in order to resuspend the yeast and get more into the bottles? Good idea? Bad idea?

I guess that's a possibility. For some reason the gravity samples I took every few days looked and tasted better than what ended up going into the bottles. Hopefully it works out!!

I personally wouldn't rouse the trub in the fermenter and bottle it. You run the risk of picking up material you might not want in your bottles (hop debris, etc.).

What you might try is gently rolling the bottles to put the yeast left over from carbonation back into suspension prior to drinking. Or, after you've poured most of the beer into your glass, swirl the remainder in the bottle to put the yeast back into suspension, and then add to your glass.

The added yeast certainly will add to the cloudiness, and a lot of people enjoy this style 'mit hefe', or with yeast.

Latest posts

Back