Aging of Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XPLSV

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed my first barleywine about two years ago. I kind of looked through a variety of recipes I found on HBT and then kind of threw something together from scratch. I barrel aged it for a bit and enjoyed the outcome. I had submitted it to a couple competitions and comments came back along the lines of "very interesting and enjoyable" and "not really sure which category this belongs..." I pretty much had English grains and American hops. Last year I decided to change out the grains and went with a true English barleywine recipe. I used a different barrel and aged it longer. I was a bit disappointed in the results. I thought it was over oaked. A judge commented that it tasted oxidized. Wasn't quite sure what the harsh taste was after that, but it has pretty much resided in the back corner of the kegerator and I even thought about dumping it if I needed room. Had some tonight for the first time in five months. Wow. The harshness is gone, the taste is much closer to what I had on the first barleywine, albeit with a different hop profile. Ran it by SWMBO and she loved it. While I was kind of hoping that the over-oaked taste might mellow with age after it was kegged, I am very happily surprised at the changes that have occurred on this one. Guess I just want to share that one shouldn't give up too early on a barleywine.

I brewed my first barleywine about two years ago. I kind of looked through a variety of recipes I found on HBT and then kind of threw something together from scratch. I barrel aged it for a bit and enjoyed the outcome. I had submitted it to a couple competitions and comments came back along the lines of "very interesting and enjoyable" and "not really sure which category this belongs..." I pretty much had English grains and American hops. Last year I decided to change out the grains and went with a true English barleywine recipe. I used a different barrel and aged it longer. I was a bit disappointed in the results. I thought it was over oaked. A judge commented that it tasted oxidized. Wasn't quite sure what the harsh taste was after that, but it has pretty much resided in the back corner of the kegerator and I even thought about dumping it if I needed room. Had some tonight for the first time in five months. Wow. The harshness is gone, the taste is much closer to what I had on the first barleywine, albeit with a different hop profile. Ran it by SWMBO and she loved it. While I was kind of hoping that the over-oaked taste might mellow with age after it was kegged, I am very happily surprised at the changes that have occurred on this one. Guess I just want to share that one shouldn't give up too early on a barleywine.

I'm looking into brewing a BW here soon. I plan to age it for a year. Just listened to the Jamil Show English Barley Wine and they tasted one from 1999 that they really liked. Its a good beer to age and pull out every few months for a group of friends.

I've done an English BW every year for 6 years. Patience is the key. Some batches that were over oaked or hot solventy when young where magnificent in a year or two. OTOH some that were drinkable young where nothing special later.

I usually do very hoppy barleywines (mostly late hops and dry hopping to keep bitterness in check..) This way, I can drink several young and then age the rest. Its like two beers in one...a hoppy, boozy beer for a few months, then a very nice barleywine a year later.

As for aging, barleywines are one of the only beers I really enjoy aging. 2-3 years is what I find most commercial and homebrew peak at. Then again, after about 5-7 years you get some oxidation and cherry notes I like as well.

I do verticals of SN bigfoot every year...6 bottles of the past 6 years. Every year, the best is almost always a tie between year 3 and year 6

Still have some of this English barleywine as I have moved that particular keg in and out of the kegerator over the past year or so. Wish I would have entered it in the Vail Big Beer & Barleywine Festival homebrew competition this past January, but I overlooked that keg. I did send some down to the Arizona Spring Classic Homebrew Competition and it took a silver down there, despite their adding mistake on one of the scoresheets (which wasn't in my favor). Sent it up to the Denver NHC Regional, too. After almost 3 years of aging, it has turned out to be a truly wonderful beer and I plan to brew some more in the coming months, but this time will be ready to wait on it to mature :)

I usually do very hoppy barleywines (mostly late hops and dry hopping to keep bitterness in check..) This way, I can drink several young and then age the rest. Its like two beers in one...a hoppy, boozy beer for a few months, then a very nice barleywine a year later.

As for aging, barleywines are one of the only beers I really enjoy aging. 2-3 years is what I find most commercial and homebrew peak at. Then again, after about 5-7 years you get some oxidation and cherry notes I like as well.

I do verticals of SN bigfoot every year...6 bottles of the past 6 years. Every year, the best is almost always a tie between year 3 and year 6

What temp do you cellar at?

Back